TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened to the Ruffstuff/Bentup FJC Sliders. We got some better ideas on the way to the powdercoaters.......some teaser pics.....

No, they aren't powdercoated yet, but they will be.......

The main problem is that both AJ and Myself have very busy businesses and developing major products like these take too much time for a small business, thats why we joined forces on these in the first place. However, they are complete and fit perfectly.

They are an entirely new way of doing the whole slider thing. A full torsion box construction with 5 internal reinforcement plates, 2 external and a 1.75" x .188" wall outside slider tube. They clear the body by 3" and the lower door edge by 3/8". They are flush with the frame and will be the rearmost mounting area of our skidplate also.

This whole combination was the culmination of my very first product, FJ40 skid/sliders, which will also be released before Christmas. The reason I came to this style was getting stuck on a rock with traditional sliders, when a rock gets between the tubes you are in for a very bad day with possible serious damage and dangerous conditions to get off that rock (you Never want to have to use a high lift and a winch at the same time). The continous steel plate of these Skid/Sliders avoids that possibility altogether and does the job of both. And these are not poser sliders, they are built to be used... :p

If you recognize the FJ they are mounted on you might remember that it was totalled by the insurance company after its initial Rubicon trip, AJ bought it from the owner and I need to claim a little credit here, it was the skid plate AJ and I designed & built that kept the front end alive up there and its the first Rubicon tested skid for an FJC I know of without overheating problems......so trust us to make Rubicon strength products.

We will have final pics on a very smashed up FJC within the week......They will not be cheap but you will not be shocked by the price either, if you check out either the Bentup or the Ruffstuff Specialties sites you will discover we price everything very fairly.

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now they are right around 100lbs.....

sbechtold said:
They look heavy!
We are going to try and trim about 15 off of them, however, they are 2-3 times stronger than a "tube" style slider and they have NO catchpoints whatsoever. So if you don't think your FJC can handle 30lbs additional weight don't try them. For the rest of us be happy the weight is down low in a very top heavy vehicle.

·
Registered
895 Posts
great thinking with full length plate to slide on the rocks - I might have to borrow that idea when building my own!!! and if I see it right, the bolts heads are countersunk in the plate so they will not catch - nice!

I see that outside side is at an angle, which I think would make it easier to slide off rocks, but will make using high-lift jack with these sliders impossible - right?

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These will work with the Wab Fab style of high lift.....

viter said:
and just another idea - how about using a thin layer (maybe 1/8") of UHMW (cutting board type) plastic on the bottom and possibly sides of the sliders to make sliding on rocks even easier...
Adapter, they have a small cutout for it......we may include it in the final price.....

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1/8" would be gone the first time you used them.....

viter said:
and just another idea - how about using a thin layer (maybe 1/8") of UHMW (cutting board type) plastic on the bottom and possibly sides of the sliders to make sliding on rocks even easier...
From my experiences with UHMW it dosen't last long enough to be effective unless it is 3/4" or greater in thickness and it needs to be replaced way too often. Don't get me wrong on it, it slides very well, it just cuts and grooves very deeply on sharp rocks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Gravel Maker said:
From my experiences with UHMW it dosen't last long enough to be effective unless it is 3/4" or greater in thickness and it needs to be replaced way too often. Don't get me wrong on it, it slides very well, it just cuts and grooves very deeply on sharp rocks.
I see...

and glad there is a way to use them with a high-lift

couple more questions:
1. why do you make bottom plate bolt-on instead of just welding it on? is it so it is replaceable if damaged?
2. considering these are tube/plate design, theoretically it is like a large metal canister that one could fill up with compressed air. would it be possible/usefull you think to make these serve an extra purpose as an air tank?

I am only saying this cause I heard other people thinking of using their bumpers for this purpose, but I do not know of how feasible this is.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
viter said:
I see...

and glad there is a way to use them with a high-lift

couple more questions:
1. why do you make bottom plate bolt-on instead of just welding it on? is it so it is replaceable if damaged?
2. considering these are tube/plate design, theoretically it is like a large metal canister that one could fill up with compressed air. would it be possible/usefull you think to make these serve an extra purpose as an air tank?

I am only saying this cause I heard other people thinking of using their bumpers for this purpose, but I do not know of how feasible this is.
The bottom plate is bolt on, because you need to bolt the slider onto the rig first, that bottom plate is your access to fasten them onto the FJ mounting points...then the plate closes up the access area.

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Andy.....

With the frame bolts and the torsion box construction you do need the access and that is the way. BTW, it has a 3/16" backing plate reinforcing it all the way around the opening and the bolts are stainless.

An air tank may be a possibility, let me talk to AJ about his ideas on that first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Wall
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing