TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today I started the installation of my On Board Air System by Viair.
This late Saturday morning I started the install. Finish mounting the tank, compressor, gage and hardwiring. I first was thinking of mounting the total system into my JFAB Tool box. But I opted not too, due to if I wanted to remove the tool box. I would have to contend with the weight of the box PLUS the OBA system. My back could not handle that very well. :eek:

So I mounted the tank under the bed, just behind the rear axle and before the crank for the spare tire. Removed the spare tire & the spare tire's centering sheetmetal. I mounted the compressor in my ammo-box. Only one issue came to light in regards of my fittings. The way I have my fittings located, my supply line for the pressure gage is between the top of the tank and bottom of the bed's floor. There is a space, but not enough to get the flex tube to work properly.

Need to go to Lowes tomorrow to get the 90-degree fitting and then finish up all the air lines and an outlet QD.
I will post some pics up later on this weekend.

Check out the attachments (sketches) of where I located the stuff.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I honestly think you should put a switch in the cab so for example when we get done on a run and were driving to a gas station for everyone eles to fill up you can turn the air compressor on to fill the tank before we get there.

Adam

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly think you should put a switch in the cab so for example when we get done on a run and were driving to a gas station for everyone eles to fill up you can turn the air compressor on to fill the tank before we get there....
Adam: I did thought about doing it that way, but I would need to drill air vents into the ammo box and still filter it to keep dust out. I figure I can pressurize the system before our outtings, while waiting in the parking lots. :p Who knows, I can always come up with something later on.

The system comes with that cheap ass plastic 1/4" tubing :eek:
I have some left over 3/8 pneumatic tubing, I just need to head to Lowes for the barbed fittings with hose clamps. And get that 90 degree bend 1/4" NPT fitting for the pressure gage.

There was also one other item that I plan to change out later, it's the pressure relay switch, the thing is damn LLLOOONNNGGG!!!

It's plastic corner (where the circuit diagram is shown on the picture) was hitting the frame's wall while I was screwing it on.

If it ever fails, I will get a shorter one like this...

It's from Macromotive.com, it's a Heavy Duty Pressure Switch 110-psi ON and 150-psi OFF with a relay.

Anyways, time to get my achey ass to bed, laying on my back for most of the day and climbing in and out from under the truck has worn me out! :D

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right Angle fitting (m)

Nathan ,

I am pretty sure lowes does not have an "L" fitting because I have been looking for one for my air setup.
I was looking on Lowes & HD website late last night and the closest thing they show is a T-fitting.

Even if they don't have it I can still use it, I would only need to plug one end.

Then I still need barbs.

Sorry wrong Barb... :D

This is the barb I need....

I guess I could always go see if my maintenance guys at work has a 90-degree L-fitting and get a few for me and my good friends! ;)
I will let you know tomorrow when I get back from work.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Found some fittings at Lowes (m)

Went to Lowes and found what I needed. They are located down the Plumbing asile.
One L-bend for 1/4 plastic tubing (PN: 25619 @ $2.57).

Two L-bend elbows (pn: 34856 @ $2.83).
The pic below is basically what it looks like, but one end is a male 1/4NPT and the other is a female 1/4NPT.

When I initially pulled up the part number on Lowe's website, the part is not what is pictured. It looked totally different than the part I purchased. Weird.

I should be done later tonight with the whole system.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
cool thank you very much , I will have to pick one of those up.

hey you going to watch the game at 2:30 nathan ?

spurs are going to kick ass.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...hey you going to watch the game at 2:30 nathan ?

spurs are going to kick ass.
da Spurs?!? who dat??? Saw some of the game, while Cindy and I were around town and eating a late lunch. They looked good, as evident of the score of 111 vs 106, favoring The Spurs.
GO-SPURS-GO!!!!!

I am now 97% done, need one more barb, the ones that came with the system were 1/4 not 3/8 - stupid me for not checking it. Then I just need to figure out if I want the QD mounted inside the ammo-can or in the truck's bed. I am leaning towards inside the ammo-can.

·
Registered
764 Posts
spurs suck

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
at least we didn't get the best record in the NBA the fall on our faces because we suck and Durk can carry the team or even help. LOL!! I would rather watch Dallas lose then see San antonio win that how bad they suck !!!!!

your lucky I didn't tell you how I really feel.=]

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tonight...photos...and GO-SPURS-GO!!!!!

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
PHOTOS (m)

Here are the photos of the install.

The QD is inside the ammo-can

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fill times for my Yota! (m)

Time to fill a 2.5 gallon tank = 3.50 minutes
Time to fill a 265/75 R16 tire from 15-psi = 60 seconds

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
nice setup, i know the pump will come in handy on the trails. I usually carry a 5gal tank with about 110psi of air JIK.

Like Adam said. I think it would be more convinient to have the gage and switch inside.

·
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nice setup, i know the pump will come in handy on the trails. I usually carry a 5gal tank with about 110psi of air JIK.

Like Adam said. I think it would be more convinient to have the gage and switch inside.
I could always add another 2.5 gallon tank.
As for the gage and switch inside, I can always change it later, I want to do a least a few runs with it to see how it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts