TTORA Forum banner

12461 - 12480 of 12508 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Got a hookup on factory cummins parts through the Freightliner dealer my buddy uses at work....they are sending me the head gasket set....also got new head bolts even though they are not required just to be safe. Then i got bored and started thinking that while it was apart i should upgrade something.....so i splurged and order a set of 60hp injectors from DAP.....i have been eyeing them for a while and there will never be an easier time to change them.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Holy crap. I ordered the injectors Wednesday night ~7 out of Utah and they made it to my mail box yesterday......via standard usps priority mail:eek:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3469421859.html

I think something like this is my next tow rig. In Michigan you with a little work you can get them plated / insured as motor homes, which negates the need for a cdl and makes plates/insurance cheap. You can put one rig inside then get a two place trailer to tow two more meaning you can comfortably take 3 rigs, gear, and people on trips while getting only slightly lower fuel economy while towing one rig with a pickup. There is a surplus store by my house that sells all the left overs from camper manufacturing cheap. I envision the box with bunk beds, shower, stove, ect.

The great thing is even fully loaded your not gonna tax the truck.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts

Half way done. Holy simple engine.....thing is ridiculously easy to work on. Took an hour and a half to get this far.....and that was with some screwing around

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
All done and running great....had a little mishap and bent a push rod and didn't realize it....so i put it back together and was turning it over by hand and the bent push rod pushed the rocker at a angle which broke the plastic snubber that pushes the rocker bridge....this caused the bridge to shoot out at a high rate of speed and hit me square in the face. Luckily i was able to track down parts and fix it so i could get it wrapped up

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I am very, very impressed with the way the truck turned out. It runs much stronger/smoother/ quieter.....it is really nice.

Unfortunately my clutch is not so impressed....in fact it has basically said f' this crap....i can easily make it slip......there goes another 652$.

On the bright side i'm putting in enough clutch to handle a tuner also....should be leaning on 400 flywheel hp when done compared to 235 stock...should tow much better, get better mileage and be a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
I am very, very impressed with the way the truck turned out. It runs much stronger/smoother/ quieter.....it is really nice.

Unfortunately my clutch is not so impressed....in fact it has basically said f' this crap....i can easily make it slip......there goes another 652$.

On the bright side i'm putting in enough clutch to handle a tuner also....should be leaning on 400 flywheel hp when done compared to 235 stock...should tow much better, get better mileage and be a hell of a lot more fun to drive.
235 stock? wow.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yup.....that is it.....the auto trucks were 215. It's mind blowing what these trucks will do with so little power.

Fully loaded i have ~6600 lbs in tow with my truck and trailer.....even with my 3.55 gears i never had issues towing.....it would run 65-70 all day long and get 13+ mpg doing it.....it should do much better now. The injectors i put in it really woke it up.....i can't get the full grasp of it because the clutch will not hold but you can tell its much more responsive and once boost builds it just goes.....excited to save for the tuner

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Clutch should be here Friday....went with a Valair 13" upgrade organic unit (stock is 12")....it's rated at 400hp and 900 lbft trq so i should be good. I also got a set of isspro ev2 gauges (boost, pyro, fuel pressure) which is something i should have done a long time ago.

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
I think guages were the first thing I bought for my truck.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I have been kinda ignoring mine because deep down i really want something nicer....that said i don't want the payment that would accompany something nicer....so i decided to hold on to this one for now, fix it up a bit and spend my payment money on going wheeling :D

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Clutch showed up tonight....all 110lbs of it....my ups dude must hate me lol. Gauges also came....i didn't pay attention when i ordered them but they sent me factory match gauges....color, face, and markings are 100% identical to the factory gauge cluster so everything will match....also he asked me if i wanted the electronic or analog gauges and mentioned the electronic mere easier to install so i went that way without out asking the actual difference.....these things are cool....they all come with under hood sending units so that all you run is basic wires into the cab.....really nice.....also they have a linked harness so that all three are dimmable as one.

If you guys need any diesel truck parts or even some parts for non diesel trucks check out Diesel Auto Power out of Utah.....good prices, fast, helpful.

They knocked 30 bucks off my clutch because i had bought injectors and gauges and shipped everything free....shipping from Utah to Michigan on a 110 package could not have been cheap.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Sounds like the Dodge will be pulling easy. I am wondering how the 6.0 2500hd will pull, on the long trip. I have the 4l80e not the Allison. Pulls my loader easy but never pulled on the highway with that much load.

The Chevy will now be dressed with a soft top like the Tacoma. I found that thing really handy. It is pretty dry and gets out of the way easy for a full bed.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
They work great....spent a lot of miles towing with those trucks....fuel mileage won't be great but you knew that already.....other than that it shouldn't even blink.

I'm excited to get my programmer and correct my speedo so i can get an accurate idea of what my mileage really is.

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
Todd, I'm not sure how your truck likes the trailer, but I put a set of air-bags on the back of my truck and I think it was the best towing upgrade I made on my truck. Pulling to TN last here was nice an smooth and the truck sat nice and level.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
My trailer being a 5th wheel it tows awesome....with my truck being leveled it sits down hill to the rear with most any load but it never acts poorly....i have thought about airbags just out of principal but they are not something that i think would greatly benefit me

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Clutch is in....so far so good. The install was easy.....driving it you can definitely tell its not stock.....its very tolerable and not rough or anything, pedal effort actually went down. That being said, when you release the pedal it grabs.....it is very crisp feeling.....its gonna take me a bit to get use to it, especially driving in traffic but so far i am happy with it.

I think the old flywheel got a little hot

12461 - 12480 of 12508 Posts
About this Discussion
12.5K Replies
76 Participants
SuperPoser
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing