TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the spare tire winch mod

this post has been edited to show thumbnails of all the work involved. the thumbnals are links to pics in the mebers rigs section. click om them and you can see them full size there.

Thanks to Chris "wgsa84" for posting this on his site with downloadable pics version in pdf and word for everyone. but i guess some people can't find it. so here it is.

thanks everyone for showing interest and motivating me to update the thread.

thank you shannon for the awsome members rigs section that makes it so much easier to show off our toyas and work.

I have always thaught there was a better way of dealing with the spare tire than the tools toyota gave us. so, after seeinf a fellow member dealing with spare tire related complications on the last jashua tree run.i decided enough is enough. you know who you are :cool:

THE SPARE TIRE WINCH MOD

This mod eliminates the need for the OEM tools for cranking the spare tire down. It also eliminates the hassle of fishing for the winch plug especially at night.

Materials required:
1. 2 to 4 feet of ½ inch conduit depending on body style.
2. 1 3/16 x 2 inch bolt with ¾ inch shoulder
3. 1 3/16 nylock nut
4. 2 5/15 x 1 inch bolts
5. 2 5/16 nylock nuts
6. 1 ¾ inch shaft collar
7. 1 small piece of 3/16 allthread (you could use a bolt just the same)
8. 1 3/16 nut
9. 1 ½ inch drive speed handle. To be used as a hand crank
10. 1 6 inch section of slotted channel

Number 9 is about 23 bucks at LOW’s so it might make this not a cheap trick. However, you could modify your OEM tools if you want. I will discuss my alternate idea also in the instructions.

Tools:
a. Hammer and small driving punch are optional for step two
b. drill and bits
c. Phillips bit or screw driver
d. sockets
e. wrenches
f. hack saw

Time: I did this over the course of about a week. I was in no hurry and spent a lot of time thinking and looking around at the hardware store. If you get all the stuff you need first and just jump in and bust it out, I think it could be done in an hour

Cost: I had some of the stuff lying around including the speed handle that I priced out to 23 bucks. This pushes the cost to 30 bucks if you use the speed handle. However, if you don’t mind modifying your OEM tools, then you could do this whole thing for about ten bucks.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Lower the spare tire and remove it from under the vehicle.
2. I measured from inside the receiver on the spare tire winch to the sheet metal skirting under the bed an above the bumper where you put you tools through. I came up with 19 inches
3. I removed the receiver just because I like to get into things. I use a small round punch and a hammer to knock the roll pin out. The receiver just slides right off. Take this with you to the work bench.
4. I cut my length of ½ inch galvanized conduit.
5. On one end of the conduit, I hammered the drive of the speed handle into it. Then I crushed the sides in with the vice and pounded on the other sides while still in the vice. The made a nice little niche for the speed handle to mate up with and lower the tire.

6. I inserted the conduit into the receiver and placed them in a vice to drill the ¼ inch hole through both pieces and bolted them together with a nylock nut. Put this aside till later.

Note: the drilling can be done without removing the receiver from the truck. If you go this rout don’t bolt it up till after step---
7. Bolt your shaft collar to the center of one side of your slotted channel on the outside edge. There will be a set screw that you remove and use the hole for the bolt. Make sure not to let the bolt or allthread protrude to the inside diameter.

8. Install the bracket you just made onto the section of conduit. Direction is not important.

9. Place the receiver onto the winch assembly if you removed it. Slide the conduit into the receiver now if you left the receiver on. Support the shaft and line the bracket up onto the pinch weld under the bed about six inches form the rear sheet metal. On my truck there were some plastic clips holding wires in place. These were perfect for lining up the bracket. Mark the spots and drill.

10. Now it is time to bolt the bracket in place with nylock nuts.

11. Reinstall the receiver to the tire winch or if you left it on then bolt the conduit into the receiver. pic is after step 9.
12. Put the tire back up with your speed handle instead of the cheesy OEM junk.

Alternate method:

If you do not want to spend the 23 bucks or so on the speed handle you could just weld a ¼ to ½ inch adapter to the OEM hand crank in you tire change tool pouch to fit the conduit.

I had the speed handle in a box of tools I never use and it was originally given to me any way, so it was cheap for me. I will be using it for tire changes on the trail for now. It will go on my bed mounted double spare rack to be built later with all the bells and whistles. But I will keep my one spare in the stock location when not running trails and also remove the rack. My ride is at least 90 percent city. But its heart is in the dirt.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
mikerox said:
i have a version of this on my pc that includes pictures but i do not know how to get it on here with the pics
You could send it to me in Word format and I'll put it to PDF/html and host it on my site. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got some email requests for the pics. i have finished tweaking the document and it is ready to send. i have to run for awhile. i will send it to you guys when i get home.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
mikerox said:
you got mail.
HERE it is, I'll get the pics up in the HTML version later. PDF and word format ones at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That's cool. I setup something similar but not quite so involved. I just welded the lowering rod to an old 3/8" drive socket and I keep a cordless impact in my tool box.Not as well thought out but it works lightning quick.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
This sounds like a very good idea but it sucks without pics. You should post the link to the doc that you refer too as it's not easily found on the website that you did link. The website needs more organization. The very best thing to do is upload the full doc with pics to the FAQ/TECH section.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i really don't think you would want me chopping around in the wikki. i can barely spell. that place seems to have a special format for writing. those tasks recuires tedious atention to detail of that sort make my eyes bleed. i am just going to post the pics in the rigs section so i can link them real easy to the article here.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
mikerox said:
i really don't think you would want me chopping around in the wikki. i can barely spell. that place seems to have a special format for writing. those tasks recuires tedious atention to detail of that sort make my eyes bleed. i am just going to post the pics in the rigs section so i can link them real easy to the article here.
Trust him when he say's this Dick... After all he did attend the "Jason" school of learning... bah ha ha...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts