TTORA Forum banner

The Tippy Bi@tch is going Moab Camo

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Mr Tacomi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, So now that I am almost done fixing my rear axle See - SNAP Tippy loses a rear tire and Axle at 45 mph thread

I am getting ready to paint tippy in the Moab Camo style. I have been doing Tons of research (thank you Mike for answering lots of my questions) and I thought I would share my progress - and ask for more suggestions here.

First of all here are the colors I think I am learning towards:

I think I will start with a base coat of the 330000 Maroon Red.
Then the 663333 Lighter Red (Moab Mud???)
Then the 333333 Dark Grey
Possibly a little of the 666666 light Grey
and a touch of the 000000 Black to finish it off.

I am not sure where I am going to get the colors yet. For the roll on paint it will likely be whoever has the color I like best. Brian from TTORA used Interlux. Here are brush on colors from Rustoleum. And of course there is also DuplicolorIdeally I want it to be a flat red but that might be hard to come by so I might have to use a flat clear coat at the end to get the desired flat effect on everything. I still might use www.aervoe.com for the spray colors for the camo part.

Pre Paint Prep:
  • I will make sure I have a good ventilator mask (learned Mike's lesson!!)
  • I will start by bondoing areas I have not fixed with new body panels (Yes I have new fenders)
  • I will sand her down starting with X grit
  • Wipe her down with acetone or paint thinner to prep it (interlux 333 brushing liquid was recommended for this)
  • I will tape everything else off
  • Per Yogi's suggestion: I am using a tack cloth before each coat though to remove over spray, dog hair, etc.
  • Primer coat (Probably a red/rust spray on primer)

Of course I have some good example pics from you guys to go off of:

Mike's Cow truck in progress

Mike's truck in mid tape...

Yogi's Rig

Andy's through album of Mike's Camo job

Base Color Roll On Paint:

To start with the Maroon red I am going to probably use the roll-on technique that is much discussed
By Brian on TTORA and then
Here on the Mopar site and Here.
Another great how to site for the roll-on method (for Boat painting)

Here are the best directions I have found so far on the process between coats:
  • Thin the paint the recommended 10-15% (with thinner the regular NON low odor Min Spirits - the other stuff takes too long to dry) - the paint consistency should be like 2% milk.
    Then AFTER each roll on coat:
  • (From Brian's Thread) The key now is to thin the paint out and don't be afraid to glob it on. In other words, always keep paint on the roller, don't try to squeeze the paint out of the roller. All you want in the end is a nice uniform surface. I like to do 1-2ft sections at a time (so roll a 1-2ft section then go over that section with a foam brush to pop the bubbles) so it gives more time for the paint to settle. Once the paint starts to dry, popping the bubbles is harder to do and somewhat annoying.
  • Remove sags, runs or trash with 1000-1200 grit wet(spot sand)
  • Wet sand entire vehicle with 1500 and soft block
  • Wet sand entire vehicle with 2000 and soft block
  • Start buffing with heavy wool pad and 3M perfect-it III compound (1000-1200 RPM). This will remove the sand scratches, but leave swirls in the finish that are about a 4000 grit scratch. Make sure to remove all traces of the compound before proceeding to the next step.

After the base coat is ready here is what I will do:

• (Yogi) I was told by the paint shop to use steel wool to rough up the surface of the paint before spraying the second color.
  • Mike mentioned he used about 3 coats per camo splotch.
Mike's Rig all done

So a few questions all:

• Any additional suggestions about the roll on method I missed?
  • Any suggestions about specific paint brands?
  • Anyone want to mock up a Moab camo paint scheme?
    I think I will start with a base coat of the 330000 Maroon Red.
    Then the 663333 Lighter Red (Moab Mud???)
    Then the 333333 Dark Grey
    Possibly a little of the 666666 light Grey
    and a touch of the 000000 Black to finish it off.

A Basic pic from when I first got her.

Thanks all for your input. I'll keep you posted!

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the color choices. I think ill miss seeing the "Urban Camo" though. Im having problems with my junk right now or Id give a design a shot. If I get it goin Ill throw one in there :)

#3 ·
Just so you know Mossy - she will also be getting the chop this summer too... WOOT! (Just not as cool as yours).

#4 ·
oh it'll be cool, atleast you dont have to build your own damn tailgate. Also youd like to know I spent a total of about 60 bucks on the chop. Not bad if you ask me. And it was much easier than anticipated

#7 ·
Don't need a rear window - that part is going by by when I chop it. And no I won't put any bumper stickers on it. (Just the "got Squirrel" I have on the window :D

Love that website too Mike. Way cool!

#8 ·
cant wait to see it, is it going to be rattle can or some sort of base coat clear coat? Im gonna be ordering some glasswork fenders soon with a huge up rise of about 5 inchs and 3.5 flare, im not sure how im gonna paint them, want to paint them to match my silver and then later if i find another silver ill be set or black if i trade for black.

keep us updated I cant wait to see this paint job.

and do the chop already :)

#9 ·
Chop comes after the paint - because I need a chunk of change to sow the canvas cover and I don't have that all set up yet....

The base coat will be roll on I think the rest will be rattle can. Well really the rest will be whatever type of paint I can find the color I want. (And I really want flat dammit).

#10 ·
:2cents: 5 colors would be crowded, here's 4.

Attachments

#11 ·
Yeah I think you are right. I will just do 4 then..... I still need a mock up to really know what I am looking at but that should come together...

Thanks for the quick look Got Cope.

#15 ·
typically i found moabs sandstone to be more on the orange side, those colors look straight out of sedona..... trust me i have atwo slabs of rock from both places in front of me, the moab is orange the sedona is red.

my adivce woud be to drop a bit of orange in those colors along with a litttle green to tone it down and you'll have some fantastic moab camo!

#18 ·
LOL - thanks guys. Not sure if Tippy is going to TO yet or not. She is having an issue either in the transfer case or the new longfields. *Grrr* We just did a major run this past weekend to shake her down and found this Issue (But damn she was amazing crossing french creek - pics to follow) With that said we might be bringing troys truck meaning Tippy is still in a holding pattern. Truth be told I need more $$ to paint her right - though I have done the research AND I have 3 friends with full on paint setups. How cool is that?

Additionally we figured out this weekend that even though I re-did her rear suspension to the tune of $1,800 this past spring it did not get rid of the VERY scary tippiness at 60 MPH on the interstate. I think even with rear leafs I need a sway bar - well that and she really needs a chop in the back. (To reduce high up weight). After out weekend at holy cross I repacked her with her rear seats in place and placed the really heavy recovery gear on the floor behind the driver and front seats. It made a huge difference - meaning that even a small change in her center of gravity makes a HUGE difference when driving on an interstate. (Mountain curvy roads are not near as bad since she only hits 50 MPH and the road switches back and forth so much in the curves the wobble never has time to form). So we really did get a lot of info from this last weekend , but not enough to execute a paint job and a chop before TO.

Thanks for keeping tabs on me though. I now have a full garage to do this - and am hoping maybe Moab TO at the end of October. LOL :D

And when this is all said and done - boy will I have a great write up for 2nd Gen 4 runners and their serious top-heavy issue!

#20 ·
Bump - only cuz this is STILL (I know) on the plate and this is one of my best reference threads! ;)

#21 ·
Molly- My Sammi misses you and Moab :(

but a bit of info... I have an SAS Tacoma double-cab... upon original swap, everything was tight, etc no bad road manners. Then the spring bushing started wearing in, the leaf packs loosened up and it was quite entertaining on the freeway... a little wanderlust as well. I put a panhard bar on the front axle and it immediately tightened up the steering, but surprisingly it almost completely removed the dangerous sway at speed on the highway... she still sways a bit more than your average vehicle, but nothing that would keep your fingers white-knuckled to the steering wheel! If you go this route, I highly suggest you PLATE EVERYTHING A LOT!... and make a very strong axle bracket! The stresses on those mounts are unbelieveable... but it is awesome on the trail getting rid of bumpsteer!

Anyways, hope to see pic's of 'tippy' soon!

-Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.