TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question but if one wanted and had the necesary lift could one fit 33x10.50 tires on the front and 33x12.50 on the rear? What problems could arise because of this? Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
This might be a stupid question but if one wanted and had the necesary lift could one fit 33x10.50 tires on the front and 33x12.50 on the rear? What problems could arise because of this? Thanks!
It's not a stupid question. On a 2wd, fewer issues. On a 4wd there are some issues. Even though both tires might say they are "33", most likely they will not be the same. This is especially true when airing down. You could end up with a different rolling radius which will cause bind up in your drivetrain in 4wd. In deep dune sand it is not such a problem because all the tires are swimming most of the time. This why you almost never see it on a general purpose 4x4. If you did do it, you would need to measure both rolling radii and adjust the pressures accordingly. Unfortunately, this could mean one set of tires is not running at optimum pressure. Then there is the spare issue. Do you carry two, or just the smaller one? If you carry the smaller one and have a LSD, then you would have to adjust the pressures left and right for a rear flat. This is true for a 2wd or a 4wd. Bottom line is > no, it's not a good idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I see your point about the tire height, but think about all the SAS guys like me that run 5.29 in the Toyota rear and 5.38 in the Dana 44 up front. As long as it was close, I wouldn't worry about it if you wanted to run them. But personally, I would just run 10.50's all the way around. What is the big advantage of the 12.50 in the back?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, I see your point about the tire height, but think about all the SAS guys like me that run 5.29 in the Toyota rear and 5.38 in the Dana 44 up front. As long as it was close, I wouldn't worry about it if you wanted to run them. But personally, I would just run 10.50's all the way around. What is the big advantage of the 12.50 in the back?
I know that my next set of tires will be 38x12.50 TSL up front and a 38x15 Bogger in the back. I wheel in the southeast and having a lil extra for hook dirt is a big deal when the gap between every rock is a short deep mudhole.

·
Registered
258 Posts
When things get real sloppy I put 31-15.5-15s on the back of mine. They've been on with 255-85-16 and 265-75-16s up front. I get out of 4wd as soon as I'm on hard ground and have no problems running them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When things get real sloppy I put 31-15.5-15s on the back of mine. They've been on with 255-85-16 and 265-75-16s up front. I get out of 4wd as soon as I'm on hard ground and have no problems running them.

Wow, those look like some old school ATV tires- Rawhides I think they were called... That brings back memories lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! That's pretty much what I was asking about! I live in a high alpine environment and was wondering more for snow purposes, but that suffices. Thanks for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts