TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At the start.

Trans and T-case already swaped out. Crossmember is just supporting the weight until I make the new one.

Its getting a FJ 80 E-locker axle using the FJ 80 coils and either 3 or 4 link. Already swapped W56 trans and T-case out for passenger side diff. Going to be making the coil buckets adjustable. Ive been doing most of the work by myself so far and it sucks. Now I have someone helping me and should have a few more by the time its done.

The only problem Ive run into so far is figuring out how to run the lower links past the tie rod. All of the linked 80 axles Ive seen run the lowers above the tie rod. This would place all the links above axle centerline which I dont want. So Im thinking on running the lowers straight out under the tie rod then bending them up towards the frame and running another bar over the tie rod to gusset the bent.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Awesome, I love fj80 swaps :xpopcorn:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent seen to many Tacomas with the FJ 80 axle that why I like it even more. Some work got done today but not much. I made the new transfer case mount and Ill be doing the crossmember and link mounts tomorrow.

I cut my steering shaft at the weld, cut it to size and machined it down some so it fits back together now I cant get the dam thing to turn spin without wobbling.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

2x4x.250 wall. Crossmember is more heavy than the little stock one but its holding the T-case and the link mounts. Ill get pics tomorrow on how is held to the frame.

·
Registered
195 Posts
NICE :saw:
Do you go to Wyotech in Blairsville, and are they letting you do all of this work there?
I have a friend I used to work with that goes there.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its back on all 4. Still need to make new shock mounts for the front and cut the bumper. When using the forklift the tire hit the bumper so we couldnt go any higher. The FJ coils sank alot more than I thought they would. I would have liked alittle more lift out of it but Ill be changing that next year and probably doing a rear 4 link.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Toymachine said:
what did you use to cut out all the brackets? (plates)
Plasma cutter

andrewp24 said:
Looks good. Why not coilovers?
Cost. I might switch to coilovers in the future but for now its coils.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What size are your links..... they look pretty small to me. Also more pics of the upper link mount on the diff....looks pretty weak if you ask me. Also will your lower link hit your tie rod?

everything else looks good I like out its nice and low

-David

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The links are 30 inches long and are 1.5 x .250 wall.

I was going to box in the upper mounts but ran out of time in the shop so Ill probably get to that next week when I get home.

The lower links need to be moved up alittle at the axle. The only clearance problems I have is when the wheels are turned to the opposite of the up travel side.

·
Registered
515 Posts
ThePinkTaco said:
The links are 30 inches long and are 1.5 x .250 wall.

I was going to box in the upper mounts but ran out of time in the shop so Ill probably get to that next week when I get home.

The lower links need to be moved up alittle at the axle. The only clearance problems I have is when the wheels are turned to the opposite of the up travel side.
3 words.... SLEEVE THOSE LINKS the bottom ones that is... the top should be fine.

trust me... that 1.5" x.250 tubing will bend just looking at the rocks find some 2" x .250 wall tubing to slide over them.

Box and then throw a gusset on each side.... don't be afraid to over build

-David

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
30 Participants
NorcalPR
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing