TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm crawling around under my 99 tacoma putting WD40 on all the suspension bolts getting ready to do some upgrades. I noticed some rusty "flakeyness" around the driver side spring hanger. Not too surprising for NJ. I tried to keep a close eye on the frame due to the history with older Toyota trucks in the north east. So I start poking around with my fingers and was able to punch a 7" long hole into the inside of my frame. What's up with that??? Other than soem rock rash, the rest of the frame is perfect. This area is completely rusted out. Anyone else run into this? Looks like there was another piece on the inside of the frame that trapped moisture and allowed it to rot completely out. From what I can tell, the pass. side is still OK.

Since the damage is already done, I figured this would be a good time to pull the bed off for an easy repair and also a good time to box the rest of the frame. Does anyone make precut boxing plates? Anyone making repair plates for Tacomas? If I have to cut them from scratch, I was thinking about using 1/8" plate. That looks thicker than what the frame was made from. Anyone done this? Tips/advice? I haven't measured yet, but it looks like a 2'x4' piece should cover it. Does that sound right?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
:worthless

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the same problem and plan to do the same in the next few weeks. I was thinking pretty much what you were.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Its cause you live in Jersey.:D

I don't think anybody makes a kit. So you are on your own.
The only thing that comes close is Domello's frame reinforsment plate but that would only help you if it is right where the hole was.

I would use 3/16 to 1/4

1/8 is just to easy to burn thru and warp from the heat, I mean if you are going to take the time and do it might as well do it good.;)

·
Banned
722 Posts
I'll send you a precut frame template for 35$ (that will pay for shipping as well) I used 3/16 to box the frame.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did exoect some rust for living in the NE, but I was really suprised to have this much rot in one spot and the rest of the frame (from what I can inspect) is still very good.

3/16 is probably heavier than needed, but it would be so much easier to weld.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Welcome to the Rust Belt. Ain't salt grand?

I just dumped my '97 this summer since the frame was more or less completely rotted out from the inside.

Once it's that bad back near the leafs chances are the front tubes are shot too. Mine even had a nice coat of black paint still intact!

Get an awl and start hammering. I'll betcha you'll be able to punch through the bottom of the boxed sections on the side frames (like under the doors where it starts to bend back up) near the "drain" holes.

If so, plan on selling that thing in the near future before it gets really bad. 'Cause it will! Once the cancer has spread that far there's really nothing you can do that makes any economical sense...

Do a search on frame rust here. It's been discussed many many times.

Sucks...

We need to move to Arizona.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Texas has been way overbooked for years, have you tried to drive through Dallas at rush hour? :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
no shit, our neighborhood outside of houston went from somewhat rural to overcrowded in the past 10 or so years

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
How do you think I feel. I have lived in the fastest growing cities in the USA for the past 8-10 years! Mesa, Gilbert, AZ Now I think it's suburbs of Dallas.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the USA. Passed up Philly 2-3 years ago.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My friend just noticed his on the passenger side a few weeks ago. We plan to use 3/16 to plate it. His was almost 18" long, 2" high, and there were a few other small holes further up. Basically the frame rotted from the inside out. I know he has always kept up on the frame maintenace. It wasnt there last summer when I was under there. The area of damage is from the rear frame hanger foward. It looks as though some mud/salt/water? got in the square hole near this area and couldnt get out, so it ate its way out. I just might drill 2 half inch holes in mine just to make sure it can drain if it needs to.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You know, as much as I love toyota products, this frame bullshit pisses me off. You would think that a company like toyota could figure out that an 1/8" hole is not big enough to drain out the water amd mud. Granted this is an off-road community and our frames will rust more than others but my 98 has got to be one of the nicest ones left and it has junk inside the frame rails. It is no where near rusted through...More like surface rust but it has flakes of paint and rust inside the boxed section with no way to remove it other than cutting it open and rewelding it. You would think that after the first generation of trucks that rusted out when they were less than 10 years old in the NE that toyota would have fixed the problem on the 89-95 and Tacomas. What is the deal with this. I have seen many S-10 Blazers (Also a boxed frame) that have 150K plus mles and are ten years old and the frame looks like new still. What makes a toyota frame rust so quickly? Is it the composition of the metal or is it jst piss-poor engineering? I know the NE is the biggest area for it and the rest of the country doesnt have a big issue with it but a truck that is only 8 years old that needs frame repair already is bullshit and toyota should be embarassed to put their name on something like that. I mean, i have had S-10's and had the constant bs of replacing cv's and balljoints and wheel bearing etc but the damn frame was never a problem.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This was one of the reasons I was glad to see them go to a C type frame on the 05+ trucks. Obviously not as strong torsionallybut hopefully they will stand a chance in the salty NE.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did check over the whole frame. Still "seems" solid. I felt inside where the big holes are in the frame and it still feels smooth. I know a guy who does building inspections and has a scope. I'm going to see if I can get it for a weekend and really inspect the inside. I guess what really bothers me is that my '86 4runner had tons of surface rust, but little rot. My tacoma frame has almost no surface rust, but a big hole. One I punched the hole in the frame, I was able to pull 2"x3" chunks of rusted metal out, with paint still attached to one side. It's a lot of pissing and moaning over something that's already done, but it's still good to vent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you make your patch go 12" past the hole on both ends. It may seen solid now but will quickly expand along the rail. I boxed the whole frame on my 84 and felt good about the job I did but it's always in the back of your mind. I sold the 84 for other reasons but still wonder how it's holding up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey-
I'm in NJ too and I had exactly the same issue there, but also by those drain holes behind the transmission crossmember. What I did was run 2x3x3/16 angle iron from the forward-most rear leaf spring mount all the way to the transmission crossmember, boxed in the rear c-channel (lots of rot there too) and also ran extra plate connecting the fresh metal in the back to the angle in the front. I used 1/8 for everything except for the angle iron, and everything is holding up pretty well. The truck is significantly stiffer too.
Take care,
Dan

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i have to say that i think the #1 reason for rusting frames around here is dumbass truck owners who dont wash their trucks after they wheel. Here, if you want to get through the trails and to the hill climbs, you typically are gonna hit some mud. Most people around here have no idea that they need to go to the self car wash and get up under their trucks and pressure wash everything. Thats defiantly one of my pet peeves. I want to keep my frame perfect looking as long as possible.

So i would say for everyone who is wanting to ask how to prevent this, pressure wash the under body of your truck every time you touch any mud!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You know, as much as I love toyota products, this frame bullshit pisses me off. You would think that a company like toyota could figure out that an 1/8" hole is not big enough to drain out the water amd mud. Granted this is an off-road community and our frames will rust more than others but my 98 has got to be one of the nicest ones left and it has junk inside the frame rails. It is no where near rusted through...More like surface rust but it has flakes of paint and rust inside the boxed section with no way to remove it other than cutting it open and rewelding it. You would think that after the first generation of trucks that rusted out when they were less than 10 years old in the NE that toyota would have fixed the problem on the 89-95 and Tacomas. What is the deal with this. I have seen many S-10 Blazers (Also a boxed frame) that have 150K plus mles and are ten years old and the frame looks like new still. What makes a toyota frame rust so quickly? Is it the composition of the metal or is it jst piss-poor engineering? I know the NE is the biggest area for it and the rest of the country doesnt have a big issue with it but a truck that is only 8 years old that needs frame repair already is bullshit and toyota should be embarassed to put their name on something like that. I mean, i have had S-10's and had the constant bs of replacing cv's and balljoints and wheel bearing etc but the damn frame was never a problem.
so are you saying if i go out and drill a 1/2" hole in a few places in my frame, it will prevent most inside-out rust issues?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts