TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing my timing belt, what a PITA. Anyway, I go to refill the system with antifreeze and low and behold the thermostat never opens to let me add more. I'm still sitting with half a bucket full of what I collected upon removal. I finally decided I must have installed the thermostat upside down. In the Haynes book it says to install with the jiggle valve 15* within the 12 o'clock position, now these directions were so precise I never questioned them, but I do remember the jiggle valve being on the bottom when I pulled it out. Just checked some of the stuff I downloaded from techinfo.toyota.com and found that they say to install it with the jiggle vavlve downward. Would this cause the tstat not to open or does it not really matter. I find it hard to believe the Haynes manual could have messed something up so badly that is extremely important to the engine.

·
Registered
951 Posts
how long didja let the engine run? the thermostat will not open until it hits a predetermined temp....Haynes and Chilton's are the same, anyone can, and will, make a mistake....I would def'nately go with tthe Toy instructions....

Boheefus

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let the engine run for about 10 min, I even reved it some to try and get it to open up. I had the temperature guage about half way in between where normal is and the high mark.

I'm really hoping that jiggle valve doesnt make this much of a difference, I would give my left nut to not have to tear all that chit off again.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
Did you "burp" the system by squeezing the top radiator hose a bunch? Stuff will come squirting out the cap but that's ok just keep burping it. Until the system is good 'n full the flow won't go to the heater core.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
AggieTaco said:
I just finished replacing my timing belt, what a PITA. Anyway, I go to refill the system with antifreeze and low and behold the thermostat never opens to let me add more. I'm still sitting with half a bucket full of what I collected upon removal. I finally decided I must have installed the thermostat upside down. In the Haynes book it says to install with the jiggle valve 15* within the 12 o'clock position, now these directions were so precise I never questioned them, but I do remember the jiggle valve being on the bottom when I pulled it out. Just checked some of the stuff I downloaded from techinfo.toyota.com and found that they say to install it with the jiggle vavlve downward. Would this cause the tstat not to open or does it not really matter. I find it hard to believe the Haynes manual could have messed something up so badly that is extremely important to the engine.
The same thing happened when I changed mine the stock t-stat had the jiggle at 6 oclock and I put mine in at 12 oclock, started it up and waited and looked in the truck and my temp gauge was almost maxed out, so I shut it down. I squeezed the hoses and ended up having to open the radiator cap several times and it would suck the reservoir dry. Finally it opened and I topped it off and over the next few days had to keep adding a little to the system and all has been well since summer, but that temp gauge scared the hell out of me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts