• No (please explain why not)

Votes: 2 11.8%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front: Donahoe Spacer, Bilstein HDs
Rear: Deaver 3 leaf AAL, Bilstein 5100s (when available)

Goal of lift: Mainly to level it/looks. Fix my crappy rear end ride from my flat leafs sitting on the overload. Better road handling (my other vehicle is the WS6). Light wheeling, but rarely. CHEAP!!!!!

Pros: Fairly cheap, should be a good ride for my 99% street rig. I figure the added dampening (both compression and more importantly rebound) on the HDs will help with the added preload caused by the spacers. Since my leafs are pretty flat, I figure the 3 leaf would be better than say the Wheeler's single leaf (still a possible choice though) and I run empty most of the time. The truck will see some mild wheeling and hauling 2 dirt bikes in the future, but not for a while (and I could replace the stock leafs with wheeler replacements at the point if needed).

Cons: Front ride won't be as nice as coilovers, but should be better than keeping the stock shocks. My leafs should be replaced, but I think that money would be better spent on new rear shocks, than on replacement springs (ie getting the 5 leaf wheelers springs vs shock and the 3 leaf AAL).

What do you all think? Good setup? Bad? Be honest, I've got thick skin. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Since the 5100s are still on back order, what do you guys recommend as a good shock for a 1.5" AAL lift? Would the OME N94s work, or are they too soft (or too long for that matter)? If that are too soft, are the N85s okay, or too stiff?

Or since the HDs are esentially the same shock as the 5100s just without the fancy finish, do they make an HD for the rear that is slightly longer, like the 5100s are?

Again, I run empty the vast majority of the time and will be that way for a while. Even when I carry a load, it is no more than 700 lbs or so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey now! Totally off-topic, but I have a 01 WS6 as well. http://imatt.us/car

Back on topic, though... I want to re-do my front suspension as well, and do 90%+ on-road driving also. Right now I've got the 3" confed spacer with the stock shocks, and am wanting something a little different.

I can't tell you if your proposed setup is any good.. I'd just be spouting worthless info. I'm looking the same info. Anyone?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a 2.5" spacer and Bils HD's up front and I think it rides and wheels just fine. I have shackles and stock shocks in the back but am hoping to go with what you are planning sometime in the near future. Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RadRyan(Fabwerx) said:
I can hook you up with shackles for the rear. thats a great way to get more flex.
www.fabwerx.net
Ryan
I would, but my stock springs are pretty flat. I had planned on going with shackles, but they are practically sitting on the overload (even though the rear doesn't sit low.

·
Registered
612 Posts
anestech* said:
Cons: Front ride won't be as nice as coilovers, but should be better than keeping the stock shocks. My leafs should be replaced, but I think that money would be better spent on new rear shocks, than on replacement springs (ie getting the 5 leaf wheelers springs vs shock and the 3 leaf AAL).

What do you all think? Good setup? Bad? Be honest, I've got thick skin. ;)
OK you say the front ride "won't be as nice as coilovers", may I ask what you are replacing the stock coilovers with? How can you remove the coilover assembly and replace it with something else?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
97TacoDude said:
OK you say the front ride "won't be as nice as coilovers", may I ask what you are replacing the stock coilovers with? How can you remove the coilover assembly and replace it with something else?
I mean "real" coilovers, like Fox, King, SAW, Hoes, etc. Adjustable ones. Ours are esentially a strut, but we have a real upper A arm, so they aren't a true Macpherson strut. Just a shock with a spring over it, a "coilaround" if you will. ;)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
anestech* said:
Since the 5100s are still on back order, what do you guys recommend as a good shock for a 1.5" AAL lift? Would the OME N94s work, or are they too soft (or too long for that matter)? If that are too soft, are the N85s okay, or too stiff?
QUOTE]
Wheelers suggested the N85's (as opposed to the N94's)to me as an alternative to the 5100's . Told me they were pretty comprable. Gimme a week or so and I'll tell you how they fell....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ianshoots said:
anestech* said:
QUOTE]
Wheelers suggested the N85's (as opposed to the N94's)to me as an alternative to the 5100's . Told me they were pretty comprable. Gimme a week or so and I'll tell you how they fell....
Cool. I read somewhere that they (the N85s) are about 5% stiffer valved than the 5100s.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
255 Posts
According to the person I was talking to about getting my lift (www.xtremeoff-road.com) the 5100's are back in stock at Bilstein. Now I'm just waiting for v2 of the SAW's to make it to the shelves.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AZTaco said:
According to the person I was talking to about getting my lift (www.xtremeoff-road.com) the 5100's are back in stock at Bilstein. Now I'm just waiting for v2 of the SAW's to make it to the shelves.
Yeah, Bilstein finally got the switchover from German manufacture to US manufacture of the 5100s complete and has stock flowing again. Hopefull the product is a good...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts