TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Toyota decides to buy back my 98, im thinking about making this my new ride (1984 Toyota std cab long bed, 5spd, 4x4, 22R)

Its got a new clutch, Fairly new tires, and recent brake work. Needs a grille .Was wondering if there were any shortcomings to this truck aside from the timing chain guides (when do these usually go out?). I owned a 22R briefly before so i already know the power difference will be huge as will the comfort level as compared to my Tacoma, but these older Toyotas are so Bad Ass! any feedback would be cool, thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would say go for it man. That truck looks sweet for its age. I have an 85 longbed and love it. Depending on the price, I would say jump on it...as long as there are no mech. problems. Guides shouldn't deter you from buying it. They are easy to change out. The only other real thing you need to look at is the head gasket. That's what I ran into....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for posting those for me Albert, and thanks for all the comments.

I made an appt. for tomorrow afternoon to have my truck inspected for rust. Ill be the first one for this dealership, ill have to let everyone know how that goes.
Quick question- Would a grille from an 83 fit on an 84? and doors from an early 89 4Runner?

·
Registered
365 Posts
thanks for posting those for me Albert, and thanks for all the comments.

I made an appt. for tomorrow afternoon to have my truck inspected for rust. Ill be the first one for this dealership, ill have to let everyone know how that goes.
Quick question- Would a grille from an 83 fit on an 84? and doors from an early 89 4Runner?
grill-doubt it

doors-should fit

nice find bob the bed FTW :saw:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I made an appt. for tomorrow afternoon to have my truck inspected for rust. Ill be the first one for this dealership
Nice rig...

Save yourself some money and dont take it to the dealer to inspect for rust. Why dont you do this yourself? Get under the truck with a screwdriver and go poking around. With older trucks like this it really makes sense to get a cheap $10 repair manual and learn to do everything yourself.

If you modify it, be prepared to empty your wallet, have lots of fun and piss off your wife/gf for spending so much time wrenchin on it. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice rig...

Save yourself some money and dont take it to the dealer to inspect for rust. Why dont you do this yourself? Get under the truck with a screwdriver and go poking around. With older trucks like this it really makes sense to get a cheap $10 repair manual and learn to do everything yourself.

If you modify it, be prepared to empty your wallet, have lots of fun and piss off your wife/gf for spending so much time wrenchin on it. :D
Well the rust thing is for my 98, in accordance w/ their extended rust warranty. I had the truck up on the lift yesterday (my 98) and i have a nice hole above the leaf shackle where the frame bends up, and hopefully some more that i didnt find cuz i need money:D This 84 would be my 4th toyota truck (89 4runner 22re, 87 pickup 22r, and 98 Tacoma 2.7) so im pretty familiar with them at this point. Appt. is at 3:30 today. Unfortunatly my bro has dibs first on the 84, but hopefully he passes on it or ill have to kick his ass lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
heh thx everyone. bitchn stereo indeed:headbang:

Signed the confirmation letter for the re-purchase of my truck, waiting for the next step in the process. Then gettin my hands this bad boy. I drove all the way to Maine to test drive it last night, drove great for the year, motor and clutch was real solid. Bench seat was wicked uncomfortable hah but thats an easy swap.
Im already puttin some mod ideas in my head. Thinkin of OME 2" lift kit, some 31's, sliders, skids, and rear bumper. Most of the wheeling i do is woods trails on weekends or whenver theres free time,need protection from trees and logs kickin up. How much lift do u need to clear a hysteer & at what point is it necessary? Do i need it for light - medium terrain? I dont plan on playing on the rocks much if at all w/ this rig. Going to be a daily driver also.

·
Registered
296 Posts
here ya go
Is it just me or is that truck sagging bad in th rear? I guess it could be camera angle or uneven pavement but I don't know. And that thing must have just been painted too because there are no P/U's up in the northeast that are that good looking. My buddy had a 91 and after one winter his brand new paint job and freshly undercoated frame were both already getting rusty. I would kill to get a P/U that looks that good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well ofcourse its a little saggy, its 24 years old, easy fix, it was maybe painted but prolly in the late 90's if not orignal, cant wait to see this thing done

·
Registered
335 Posts
You need at least 3'' of lift to clear hi-steer.

If you are going to keep it on 31s and only mildly wheel it, i dont think you require the hi-steer. I was able to do crazy trails on 33s with stock steering. Hi-steer allows for more lift, flex and gets the steering up and out of the way of rocks etc...

Just put a locker in the rear and have fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it just me or is that truck sagging bad in th rear? I guess it could be camera angle or uneven pavement but I don't know. And that thing must have just been painted too because there are no P/U's up in the northeast that are that good looking. My buddy had a 91 and after one winter his brand new paint job and freshly undercoated frame were both already getting rusty. I would kill to get a P/U that looks that good.

Thanks for the compliment man. Yea it is actually the camera angle, the thing sits pretty level in real life. The front paint may be original, but i guess the bed had been replaced at some point and spray lined so probably when they repainted the bed they did the rest of the truck. :D The thing is so mint, it was single owner from 1984 until last year, when the older couple gave it to their (also ours) mechanic whom had done all the work to the truck. Engine purrs and she shifts smoother than my 98, wicked steal for $1500

You need at least 3'' of lift to clear hi-steer.

If you are going to keep it on 31s and only mildly wheel it, i dont think you require the hi-steer. I was able to do crazy trails on 33s with stock steering. Hi-steer allows for more lift, flex and gets the steering up and out of the way of rocks etc...

Just put a locker in the rear and have fun.
cool thanks for the info man. Ill have to do some searchin and see which locker i think would suit me best

1 - 20 of 21 Posts