TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to create more clearance, protection and a better departure angle I have been thinking of building a rear bumper. I want it to be simple but look almost stock by fitting the body lines.

I was thinking of moving up the stock hitch to the bottom of the tailgate and building wraparounds OR just starting from scratch.

I drew out some ideas and would like some input.

Note: these are not to scale.

Here is the basic structure...maybe 2x2 or 4x4 or 2x4 steel? IDK

Making it fancy:

With mounts:

The biggest issue is I don't have a welder...or a garage...but I hope to have it done by may :)

**cough** HOW **cough**

What do you think?

·
7,735 Posts
*cough* better get started with the magnifying glass, melting that steel is going to be a bitch *cough*

hahah.. just kidding.

You're design looks similar to others, and I like it. and kudos for wanting to build vs. Buy.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I would recommend 2x4 ... I think 2x2 is a bit short to offer protection, and 4x4 is just way too much weight.

Search around on Yotatech and maybe UltimateYota for "BruceTS bumper" - his is similar to what you have drawn up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search around on Yotatech and maybe UltimateYota for "BruceTS bumper" - his is similar to what you have drawn up.
The BruceTS bumper looks pretty nice. I am a little concerned with weight, I want it to be as light as I can. Maybe something like if your bumper (minus the mini exo) and the Bruce bumper had a child.

·
Registered
759 Posts
My main beam across the rear is 2x4x3/16 and the sides are 2x4x.120. My mounts are made out of .25 thick 4x4 angle. SOMEDAY I'll finish it with some thinner sheet up to the boddy and fill in the ugly.

Sorry, this is the only picture that I can find of it at this point.

Here is a picture before I got the sides on.

It is as high as I could make it and I still drag it but it's no big deal.

My 4runner is a 3rd gen and the frame is lower in the rear than your 2nd gen. You may be able to use a smaller tube. Something like the same tube that you would use for the receiver tube. (2.5x2.5x.25 I think) It would also be easier than how I mounted my receivers. You would just need a long, ~2.25', tube then the receiver tube then another long tube, ~2.25'. Then build the sides off that.

·
20,355 Posts
Good old hidden valley if i remember the trail right.

Way to go, always like seeing people build their own stuff. Guess your snowbank encounter on Rollins made you want to protect the rear.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
WHAT PROGRAM IS THAT!?!?!?

I have been drawing mine out on paper and re-drawing and re-drawing etc.

I'm in a CAD class but it will be WEEKs before i actually get to draw something in there.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My main beam across the rear is 2x4x3/16 and the sides are 2x4x.120. My mounts are made out of .25 thick 4x4 angle. SOMEDAY I'll finish it with some thinner sheet up to the boddy and fill in the ugly.

My 4runner is a 3rd gen and the frame is lower in the rear than your 2nd gen. You may be able to use a smaller tube. Something like the same tube that you would use for the receiver tube. (2.5x2.5x.25 I think) It would also be easier than how I mounted my receivers. You would just need a long, ~2.25', tube then the receiver tube then another long tube, ~2.25'. Then build the sides off that.
I really like the three receiver holes. Seeing your build was part of my inspiration. Is the 2.25'' you are talking about the OD?

Good old hidden valley if i remember the trail right.

Way to go, always like seeing people build their own stuff. Guess your snowbank encounter on Rollins made you want to protect the rear.
lol. The snow bank was pretty big:eek: just kidding. Actually, my when I bought the runner I told my GF It would be my DD for the street...soooo I cant go bashing up its nice body :)

Here's my build from last year. Nothing special, but it works very well.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86236
I really like your build. I think I will work on my design to make it more simple. How much was the final cost to make yours?

WHAT PROGRAM IS THAT!?!?!?

I have been drawing mine out on paper and re-drawing and re-drawing etc.

I'm in a CAD class but it will be WEEKs before i actually get to draw something in there.
I used Google Sketchup. Its a free download from Google to draw buildings but it works pretty good for other stuff.

http://sketchup.google.com/

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I really like your build. I think I will work on my design to make it more simple. How much was the final it to make yours?
I'm guessing that your asking about cost.

Keep in mind that I already had:

220V mig welder
Oxy cutting torch
grinder
misc other tools
drill press.

I'm also not counting my time. It was A LOT.

I spent about 100 bucks in cut off wheels, flap disks, and other consumables.

Around 120 in hardware.

and 150-200 in steel.

Plus 120 for the powder coat.

so, about 500 bucks or so.

I went through a "half-ass" phase of my life. I regretted everything I did during that phase. So, I now do everything overbuilt. Much better that way.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I really like the three receiver holes. Seeing your build was part of my inspiration. Is the 2.25'' you are talking about the OD?
I wanted recovery points to both sides so with the 3 holes I can slide in a hitch/shackle recovery in where I need. All three are flush. I didn't want to catch my leg on anything when not needed. (the downside of the slide in recovery points is that they rattle when in and slam when yanking someone). I'll probably add some 1/2" cinch bolts to crank down to relive the noise.

Correction. I just measured a piece of receiver tube. It is 2.080" ID and is 2.525" od with a wall thickness of .22"

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Everyone always pulls together the same general design.

Simple, and functional ;)

Let me know what steel you for sure want to get. I can most likely get a good deal on some for you. I've got all of mine for free or dirt cheap.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
| |---D--------D---| |

Mine is so simple I can draw it on the keyboard... :D

Edit: Okay my posts are getting retarded...really time to go to bed...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone always pulls together the same general design.

Simple, and functional ;)

Let me know what steel you for sure want to get. I can most likely get a good deal on some for you. I've got all of mine for free or dirt cheap.
for sure. The design might even depend on the materials I get. Let know if you come across scraps/pieces that I could use.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Well im getting ready to start collecting everything for my flat bottom. But that wont be done for a few months.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you guys think of using the factory hitch as the center tube and building wraparounds? Of course I would make new brackets and move it up to the bottom of the tailgate.

I would think it would be strong enough because I have banged it into a lot of things before and it still looks new.

Troy, it would be similar to your bumper but with out the upper protection.

Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I modified my hitch to make the bumper on my Tacoma. It was for the convenience of pre-drilled mounting locations. Also the hitch dropped approximately 4" from the frame rails. I have a 3" BL, so flip 'em over for a 4" rise, notch it out an inch lower, and I had my bumper brackets custom fit for 3" rise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts