TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am thinking about fabing up my own front bumper. I really like the way the All-pro's bumpers look as well as the ShrockWorks. How hard do you think it would be to make a bumper that has the approach angles of the All-pro and the look of the ShrockWorks? And what type of material should I start buying. I will have to wait tell after I get my own place to start it but I figure its best to start planing NOW.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I will have to go it after work today. but to get you started...

All-pro

ShrockWorks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you have a winch the winch plate should be 1/4" and mounted very well to teh frame.

As far as making the bumper, it could take some time, but would be so worth it! I would temp it all out of cardboard stock to start, unless you can visualize exactly how you want it. Once you have it mocked up you can start cutting the paterns out of steel.

The boxing of the bumper could be done with 1/8", 3/16" will work but will be a lot heavier and will not crumple as good if in an accident.

I know this is a dif year truck, but this guy did a great job.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98295

I couldnt find it, but i think Jh3 built a bumper simular to these and he made a small frame behind the box, out of small tube and then plated it to look like these.

I want to build a bumper very close to this idea, I just havent figured it all out yet. I'm not sure the best way to mount it yet, other than using 1/4" plate in some form or another. I'll keep an eye on your build for some ideas that come along.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what inspired me to take this on. But as I said it will take some time. I may not even start building tell next year. But I may start the cardboard thing at the how. I was even thinking about doing it out of foam if I can find a peace that is the right size.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O wait I have a crap load of foam board I can use. HEHE I will bring it with me.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Buddy of mine did just what you're talking about for his rear bumper. It happens a lot when you have an orphan truck.

Plan carefully how it'll secure to the frame, especially if you're gonna winch off it...and plan the winch mount just as carefully. I've seen a few great designs where the winch is a completely separate install, and the bumper is just plate or tube protecting the winch and front of the engine. The main things to keep in mind are good straight pull off the frame rails, and mounts which aren't so strong that they'll bend the frame before the bumper or brackets deform (that was a problem with the Tuff Country front bumpers for 1st-gen Tundras...the bumper is supposed to crush before the frame!). ARB has a great setup, use their brackets and shells as examples if you're looking for a box-style bumper.

Also when you design, make sure you've a good assembly plan...angles you can hold with any common welding magnet to create a reference for other pieces which don't lie in plane, perpendicular, or at regular angles to the other plates.

-Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts