TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new WIX paper filter from O'Reilly and that thing was $25! I really wanted to stay away from K&N, but it seems like it will pay for itself pretty fast. I guess I'm just ranting.

:baby:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I just bought a new WIX paper filter from O'Reilly and that thing was $25! I really wanted to stay away from K&N, but it seems like it will pay for itself pretty fast. I guess I'm just ranting.

:baby:
Just save yourself the money and stay away from the cold air intake kits. They won't add much HP if any to our trucks. I myself have a K & N drop-in replacement filter, and it works just fine! You just have to be careful not to over oil them. That's where people have run into problems. OEM Toyota paper filters and Toyota TRD high-flow filters are also good alternatives. See link below:

http://trdparts4u.com/PD-PTR05-89890-05.aspx?MakeID=1

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The K&N's also let a lot of fine particles through. Just use the OEM paper filter. It is actually really nice and not too expensive.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
The K&N's also let a lot of fine particles through. Just use the OEM paper filter. It is actually really nice and not too expensive.
i had a k&n drop in for a few months... let waay too much dirt in... it now takes up space in a dump somewhere..
i buy nothing but oem filters now.

·
Banned
966 Posts
the AMSoil nano air filters are very good and worth the $$$.

as for cai setups, i would only do it if the pickup is outside the engine bay, such as the one offered by URD. it should be illegal to market cai setups that have the filters in the engine bay as "cai" since in fact the oem pickup setup is more of a cai setup than the aftermarket units with filters exposed inside the engine bay!!!

and, i used a K&N drop-in for my 2002 4cyl for a few months. i still have the filter if anyone wants it for "free" ($10 UPS shipping fee). PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just save yourself the money and stay away from the cold air intake kits. They won't add much HP if any to our trucks. I myself have a K & N drop-in replacement filter, and it works just fine! You just have to be careful not to over oil them. That's where people have run into problems. OEM Toyota paper filters and Toyota TRD high-flow filters are also good alternatives. See link below:

http://trdparts4u.com/PD-PTR05-89890-05.aspx?MakeID=1
Well, I would never think of a CAI. They're a joke on the 3.4. I was talking about the drop in filter. I'd rather just do the elbow mod and call it done. Our air box is pretty much already setup to be its own CAI.

I was just suprised that a paper air filter at O'Reilly was $25. I was just ranting at that price.

·
Registered
854 Posts
i had a k&n drop in for a few months... let waay too much dirt in... it now takes up space in a dump somewhere..
i buy nothing but oem filters now.
Really? I've had mine for a few years now and haven't noticed anything. Maybe that's why they say, the dirtier they are, the better they work?

·
Banned
966 Posts
Really? I've had mine for a few years now and haven't noticed anything. Maybe that's why they say, the dirtier they are, the better they work?
K&N seems to be the 50/50 filter. 50% of people say they are junk, 50% of people say they have no issues with them.

of the few months (about 6) i used my K&N in my 2002 i saw no dirt or oil in the intake past the filter. K&N requires proper oiling.

i'm now a big fan of TrueFlow http://www.trueflow.com/

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
X2 on the junk! No real benifit, and it lets in a ton of dirt. You are actually hurting the motor in the long run. Also it is costing you more money in oil changes since the oil is going to be dirtier. It has been proven that the OEM filter is the best choice:2cents:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
An OEM filter costs much less than $25! If need be contact one of the site sponsors that sell OEM parts. Either Dallas Toyota or Champion Toy of Houston. That's where I get my parts from. I choose not to give my business to my local dealer, so I order from these guys! :D

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
everyone always thinks it will save them money.. when in the long run it is destroying the motor...

people need to quit being such cheap asses and just buy the oem filter...

next time you get a chance compare the oem (from toyota dealership) and others like fram and k&n
toyota designed the filter that way for a reason...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An OEM filter costs much less than $25! If need be contact one of the site sponsors that sell OEM parts. Either Dallas Toyota or Champion Toy of Houston. That's where I get my parts from. I choose not to give my business to my local dealer, so I order from these guys! :D
Thanks. I will buy a few from one of these guys and just keep them in my garage. I thought I'd get a fair price at O'Reilly's but I guess not.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It has been proven that the OEM filter is the best choice:2cents:
Not trying to be a smartazz, but what is your source for this info? I would like to be educated on this if this is truely the case.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Not trying to be a smartazz, but what is your source for this info? I would like to be educated on this if this is truely the case.
because its an oem filter.... it was designed to be the most efficent, with the best filtration for that motor..
same with the oem oil filters.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
it should be illegal to market cai setups that have the filters in the engine bay as "cai" since in fact the oem pickup setup is more of a cai setup than the aftermarket units with filters exposed inside the engine bay
What about the Volant or Outlaw? AFE makes a nice box for the 05's as well...

They are enclosed boxes inthe engine bay, that seal up to the fender to pull air only form the fender...

·
Registered
854 Posts
What about the Volant or Outlaw? AFE makes a nice box for the 05's as well...

They are enclosed boxes inthe engine bay, that seal up to the fender to pull air only form the fender...
But, the stock intake pulls air from the fender anyway, right?

·
Registered
506 Posts
because its an oem filter.... it was designed to be the most efficent, with the best filtration for that motor..
same with the oem oil filters.

That's not a valid argument. Why do manufactures put crappy tires on vehicles stock? cause they're cheap and they work ok. If K&N's were so bad why do we see them on any high HP modified "super tuner" car. If they blew up engines would Callaway and others be using them?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
That's not a valid argument. Why do manufactures put crappy tires on vehicles stock? cause they're cheap and they work ok.
the tires are a different story...
have YOU ever compared the different manufactures air filters? i have had almost every drop in air filter on my trucks and they all let dirt past the filter except for the oem.
If K&N's were so bad why do we see them on any high HP modified "super tuner" car.
because they dont care about longevity of their motors... all they care about is squeezing every last HP out of their motors... ever noticed how most drag cars and such do not have air filters?

·
Banned
966 Posts
hold on folks. what exactly makes a "good" filter. i may say "flow" and you may say "dirt blocking". a good filter has several metrics that make it a "good" filter.

K&N flows more than oem, but oem catches more dirt. is one better than the other ??? i dunno, you decide whats best for you.

we all know more dirt in the engine is not as good as less dirt, so the oem filter wins there. we all know ease of flow helps the motor perform better, so the K&N will win there.

now, we can get into that area of "the best of both worlds". this is what the TrueFlow is suppose to be. TF is a filter that flows more than oem and catches more dirt than oem. however, to their own admission the TrueFlow will flow less than a K&N, but they also say they are all about catching dirt and not about max flow rates, etc.

so, pick your metrics and rank them, then compare them against the other filters (cost is a valid metric). only your set of metrics matter.

IMHO, the 2 filters that are worth the $$$ today are TrueFlow and AMSoil.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts