TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -- I'm toying with the idea of moving out to Arizona -- would be quite a change from NH..but you only live once, right? :D

I'm thinking about Tempe, Gilbert, Peoria...possibly Scottsdale, but probably not. Leaning toward Tempe now - can anyone give me pointers on the area..places to look for..places to avoid..etc?

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
CadetLee said:
Hey all -- I'm toying with the idea of moving out to Arizona -- would be quite a change from NH..but you only live once, right? :D

I'm thinking about Tempe, Gilbert, Peoria...possibly Scottsdale, but probably not. Leaning toward Tempe now - can anyone give me pointers on the area..places to look for..places to avoid..etc?
I used to live in Tempe and really liked the area. Only thing is that it is a college town (ASU) and therefore, no matter where you live, you deal with some of that "element" if you know what I mean! :)

Scottsdale is pretty pricey, but it really depends upon where in Scottsdale.

Good thing is that with the way the Phx area is growing, where ever you end up will appreciate in value!

Drop me an email if you would like some more specifics on the area. I also have some realtor and mortgage contacts if you're interested.

Later,
Tim

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Started pricing tickets/hotels -- thinking about flying over in late April / early May.

How easy is it to get a relatively short-term job? I briefly thought about moving there and working while I apply at several agencies, as flying back and forth is going to get costly..I'm an administrative assistant for a financial institution now, so I have office experience. Ideally I'll move when I get an offer from a PD, but it may not happen as soon as I'd like.

Edit: Just found a CSR position with Wells Fargo -- is $32k/yr livable in the Scottsdale area?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Gilbert is an awesome place to live. Great neighborhoods, quiet, and most everything is new or being built. I would never consider living on the west side (Peoria).

Yogi

CadetLee said:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
32k in scottsdale.... Ummmm NO!

Yogi

CadetLee said:
Started pricing tickets/hotels -- thinking about flying over in late April / early May.

How easy is it to get a relatively short-term job? I briefly thought about moving there and working while I apply at several agencies, as flying back and forth is going to get costly..I'm an administrative assistant for a financial institution now, so I have office experience. Ideally I'll move when I get an offer from a PD, but it may not happen as soon as I'd like.

Edit: Just found a CSR position with Wells Fargo -- is $32k/yr livable in the Scottsdale area?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seth_js said:
Depends on where in Scottsdale, and what kind of living arrangements. With a roomate, sure. Hell, even without a roomate if you had minimal expenses.
Thanks -- I don't have many expenses..once my truck is paid off (hopefully in a few months, before I move), I should have no debt at all.

yogiaz said:
Gilbert is an awesome place to live. Great neighborhoods, quiet, and most everything is new or being built. I would never consider living on the west side (Peoria).

Yogi
Nice - I'll look into Gilbert a bit more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow how cool is that! I moved here from Andover just over a year ago. We moved to Tempe and rented a place for a year. We recently bought a house in N. Phx. We really like it up there. Tempe was nice too, but found we could afford more in N Phx. I work at ASU Foundation so I know what the "element" is like every day.

I moved out here without work, too. I had my resume with 3-4 temp agencies and had work within 30 days. I got lucky, since ASU Foundation was doing temp to perm. Good luck with the move!

I used to work at a newspaper company up there in NH, they publish the Littleton Courier, Coos County Democrat and Berlin Reporter among others.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
CadetLee said:

I just made the move here to AZ about 6 months ago. So far I love it. If you have any questions let me know. I am in the west valley, there's a bit less traffic out this way.

·
Registered
588 Posts
People seem to forget that there is a "normal" part of Scottsdale still. People are normal, they make normal amounts of money, and live in normal homes. You get north of the canal (Indian Bend), and that's where "Scottsdale" starts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
seth_js said:
People seem to forget that there is a "normal" part of Scottsdale still. People are normal, they make normal amounts of money, and live in normal homes. You get north of the canal (Indian Bend), and that's where "Scottsdale" starts.
I'll definitely have to check it out, then - I don't mind commuting a ways either, as long as it's not ridiculous. It takes me about 20min to get to work now...not sure how bad traffic is there, though.

mikgrail3 said:
Wow how cool is that! I moved here from Andover just over a year ago. We moved to Tempe and rented a place for a year. We recently bought a house in N. Phx. We really like it up there. Tempe was nice too, but found we could afford more in N Phx. I work at ASU Foundation so I know what the "element" is like every day.

I moved out here without work, too. I had my resume with 3-4 temp agencies and had work within 30 days. I got lucky, since ASU Foundation was doing temp to perm. Good luck with the move!

I used to work at a newspaper company up there in NH, they publish the Littleton Courier, Coos County Democrat and Berlin Reporter among others.
I used to deliver the Caledonian way back when..

az250r said:
i would think it would depend on the bills you currently have....if your like me single and no bills yes

into your eyeballs with CC debt wife, kids, etc then your answer would be no :)
*chuckle*
Nope -- single and no debt aside from my truck, which will hopefully be paid off by May.

·
Registered
497 Posts
CadetLee said:
I'll definitely have to check it out, then - I don't mind commuting a ways either, as long as it's not ridiculous. It takes me about 20min to get to work now...not sure how bad traffic is there, though.

I used to deliver the Caledonian way back when..

*chuckle*
Nope -- single and no debt aside from my truck, which will hopefully be paid off by May.
Traffic here BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

depends on where you live and work in my case i live in peoria and work in north phoenix so i fight traffic. BUT if i stay at the g/f house in scottsdale i'm going the opposite way of traffic and can go rediculous speeds the whole way :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any idea how much I'd have to make to afford an apartment? I'm planning on getting into a PD eventually, but due to the extensive testing process, I'm not too keen on flying back and forth several times...I would rather move there and find a temporary-ish job than spend $1-2k on airline tickets/hotels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
CadetLee
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing