TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I'm going to paint the Brown Bomber. I never really liked the color since I got so now its time to switch it up. I was thinking of a cheap Maco paint job but its a trail rig and I don't want to spend that much and I might as well do something that will hold up on the trail. So I'm thinking of a colored bed-liner. I was planning on doing the interior floor sometime so I will just do it all together.
Thinking about this stuff: http://www.grizzlygrip.com/4__X__8_Aromatic_Kit_Color-details.aspx
Will need more than 1 gallon, so one gallon of color and one of black so I can do a two-tone. I was thinking of a color then do the rockers and the interior black.
What color?? I was thinking orange, red or blue...
Anyone good at photoshop or have any opinions/suggestions on the matter?
I know washing it sucks compared to normal paint but it's not going to be washed all the time and I should have a power-washer by then. Also there is a UV additive to keep it from fading.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Orange is the "in" color now; go for a light green... I forsee that Crawl Mag's Crawlmaro green being sprayed on a lot of rigs in the near future. That, or a decent dark blue.

Here's another company with a similar product:

http://www.durabakcompany.com/colorchart.htm

Take a side shot of it so we can mess around with it in photoshop/paint.

>>Dan

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
IMO I would avoid the bedliner...it doesn't look good to me personally and if it starts getting ripped off from rocks and things, it'll look even worse. Spray paint would be much easier to touch up in the long run.

But my color opinion...I always like blue. ;)

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
I got a deck stain gun from lowes for 20 bucks and well you see how mine turned out. Not saying mine sucks but Im not worried about smashing it into a rock. Orange does seem popular at the moment. I still say go orange. Green seems to be upcoming though. Felix will be that way. I always liked the annoying colors. Brown is just ugly.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea I would love an orange rig, but I agree there's too many.. especially just 4runners here.
I can't really find a sweet green.. or I would consider a lime-green. They do have a decent navy blue.
I'll upload a shot I have thats a littler better but I don't have true side shot yet..

EDIT: Yea considering the a cheap harbor freight paint gun and cheap automotive paint. More color options that way too

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
7,735 Posts
I call dibbs on banana yello. It's mine and nobody else can use it till I actually paint my junk, then you all can copy me :rofl:

I originally wanted rust orange, but it's played out. Lime green is cool.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If I ever get to a point of repainting my truck it will be rat rod flat black. Love that look and easy to touch up. Just like the stealthness of it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I ever get to a point of repainting my truck it will be rat rod flat black. Love that look and easy to touch up. Just like the stealthness of it.
Yea considered that too, I think it would be hard to make it look decent without getting lines in the paint since black shows.. I did spray my trailer last year with a cheap harbor freight gun and auto zone paint, turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Just spray it nice.why put time in to doing a half ass job? You can go to sherwin Williams and get demention base coat for 100 or less per gallon. Get the cheap clear at 100 a gallon and a sealer or cheap primer for 60-100 a gallon. $300 or so and it looks nice and you will have paint to touch it up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just spray it nice.why put time in to doing a half ass job? You can go to sherwin Williams and get demention base coat for 100 or less per gallon. Get the cheap clear at 100 a gallon and a sealer or cheap primer for 60-100 a gallon. $300 or so and it looks nice and you will have paint to touch it up.
I would be into that if I could get all of the rust and most of the body imperfections fixed. Never really done any real body work before so thats why I was leaning towards bedliner.. but it would be awesome to have a nice paint job on the runner!!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
That trailer looks evil; like a bunch of demented clowns are gonna pop out and eat everyone.

You can still have an awesome paint job with dents; just prep everything nice and good... the dents will now be shiny, that's all. Hell, Volcom's shiny new paint job was done over dents; still looks good. :cool:

All I'm gonna do to my pile it sand/prime/seal/paint it... the dents can stay. Besides it's a trail rig, not a show truck; it's going to get scratched. Or worse.

>>Dan

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Looks like it's time to learn some body work and rust repair ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bed liner the rocker panels. Then paint over it. Darker colors will hide the bed liner. That's what I did. Be careful of painting in cold weather as there is a major tendency to get runs.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Lots of things cause runs; temperature can help/hinder that. Too cold and the paint won't dry fast enough so it'll run/sag. Too hot and it'll dry before it hits the panel, causing dry spots. Inconsistent application can do the same: travel speed, distance, gun settings, air pressure, fluid rate...
Improper mix ratios can also cause runs, i.e. a slow reducer with a fast activator.
Same with metallic (silver/gold) colors; too cold or warm and you'll have spotty/mottled coloring... the base color will dry before it hits the panel causing a splotchy pattern; ask how I know. Lousy Toyota 1F7 Classic Silver... :mad:
Black shows every dent and scratch while white hides a LOT of things... sand scratches, blend areas, smaller dents/dings etc. Check out a few cars in any parking lot; you'll see which colors hide what better than others.

I paint cars every day; PM if you want any info/tips.

·
7,735 Posts
I like how you guys always make it sound so easy. When...

Lots of things cause runs; temperature can help/hinder that. Too cold and the paint won't dry fast enough so it'll run/sag. Too hot and it'll dry before it hits the panel, causing dry spots. Inconsistent application can do the same: travel speed, distance, gun settings, air pressure, fluid rate...
Improper mix ratios can also cause runs, i.e. a slow reducer with a fast activator.
Same with metallic (silver/gold) colors; too cold or warm and you'll have spotty/mottled coloring... the base color will dry before it hits the panel causing a splotchy pattern; ask how I know. Lousy Toyota 1F7 Classic Silver... :mad:
This is the sort of thing I read about often.

You guys spray too much, of course it seems easy to you. Besides, you all probably have good air setups.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like it's time to learn some body work and rust repair ;)
Black shows every dent and scratch while white hides a LOT of things... sand scratches, blend areas, smaller dents/dings etc. Check out a few cars in any parking lot; you'll see which colors hide what better than others.

I paint cars every day; PM if you want any info/tips.
I like how you guys always make it sound so easy. When...

This is the sort of thing I read about often.

You guys spray too much, of course it seems easy to you. Besides, you all probably have good air setups.
Yea I would be afraid of spending all that time and money and the "good" paint job not really turning out well. I have air compressor but its not much of one... also don't really have a good place to spray.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have never seen the point in doing all the body work for a trail rig.
X1000000. Pick a cheap color (I used tractor paint, $50/gal), grab a cheap gun, rough up the existing paint, tape and spray. Here's at most $150 job including the gun.

It's all one color, that's all I cared about.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts