TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not new here and I did search but can't find where it might be explained. I know what a 3rd member is but why is it called a "3rd member"? What is the first and second member? The axle housing and what else? Maybe it's a stupid question so that's why I put it in the newbie tech section.

Damn it - maybe I'm more of a noob than I thought. Somehow, I got the wrong folder. sorry, can someone move it or just delete it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i thought 3rd member is the next austin powers movie?

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
You got the 2 tires as legs and well the differential would be the third member.

It kind of looks like that when you think about it. :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nowhere2wheel said:
Keith, good question. i was thinking about this the other day. only thing i could think of is that it's about gearing. 1st unit to multiply engine tourque is the tranny, then the transfer case then the third member, diff.

i don't know but all three use gears. best I could think of.
hmm some how i dont think thats it. :confused: as in the 2wd Taco/Tundra/T100 and even my Supra has a 3rd member.

Maybe its just like the question of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tossie roll tossie pop? the world may never know.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't think axle housings have ever been two piece. There would be no advantage to that. I have seen tons of old cars and trucks in junk yards and have never noticed a two piece rear axle housing

Ryan

·
Registered
680 Posts
ThePinkTaco said:
Model T's had them bolt together.

Thats a good point and sounds buy-able. why hasnt The Dick answered in yet, we all know he knows and was even there when the 1st Modle T rolled off the assembly line. I hear he even help Mr Ford with the idea of mass production. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
ThePinkTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing