TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order online with Marlin Crawler last monday for a clutch kit and an elocker wiring harness and it was 'pending' till thrs. Then I finally got an email from them saying that they no longer carry the elocker harness.

Ok, thats fine just ship me the clutch and ill get the harness from inchworm. BUT Ive called twice a day since then and never get through to anyone. I have left a handful of voicemails saying to just ship the clutch as well as replying to the email about it and have yet to hear back from them at all. my order is still pending on their website.

Anyone else had problems getting in touch with marlin lately? Or is there some special phone number I should be calling other than the one they list in their emails and on their website? They seem to have a great reputation but if this is how they do business ill take my hard earned $$ somewhere else next time.

·
20,355 Posts
Marlins shipping and customer service has gone way down hill from what I have seen. Their products are top notch but due to shipping horror stories I have seen I try to avoid them.

·
7,735 Posts
Yeah, I've had the same problems with Marlin shipping/service. All I can say is keep at it. One of the times, I repeatedly dialed their number for almost 2 hours before I got someone on the line. I really try to avoid dealing with them if I can.

You might try PM'ing BigMike here or get an account on the Marlin board and PM him there.

Once they actually get you a tracking number, make sure you check it for the first couple of days to make sure it actually left their dock. Of the 4 times I've ordered from them, 2 of the times, they 'forgot' to put it on the truck.

EDIT: Also, I found that paying by paypal introduces quite a bit of delay. It was explained to me that they send that to the book keepers to wait for it to clear PayPal, then that group sends the order back to shipping. I was told (after I had ordered) that it would be 7-10 additional business days to process the order.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've always had problems with Marlin and them shipping things. took them 4 weeks to deliver my clutch. I no longer go with them as they have gone downhill like said above.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paid with a card online. so that shouldnt be the issue. They just couldnt process part of the order (since even though its still listed on their website they dont carry them anymore). Now I just want the clutch and they wont pick up. Guess Ill keep calling them and leave multiple messages. guess the good rep I have heard about marlin is a quality product and mostly comes from people in CA who can likely pick up their parts there instead of dealing with shipping.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Strange, I really haven't had any problems with them. They are slightly slower to ship than TG, but it's only a couple days later. And every time I have called, I got somebody right away, who was happy to spend 10 minutes talking to me... Maybe that's the problem... too much customer service for too few people.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whatever the case is I just sent bigmike a PM and left another voicemail. At this rate im going to have all my other parts Ive been ordering before the clutch even though I ordered it a week before everything else. lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
i waited almost 5 weeks for my clutch.. but they said it was out of stock.. they called me when they got them in to see if they should still ship but i missed the call..called them right back and they answered..

but there was an odd thing with it.. never got a tracking number from them and it never updated my order on there site... so i waited like 4 days for it... it did not show.. called them back from work to see what was going on they said it never shipped and they were out of stock again... but thank god when i came home from work it was sitting on my doorstep..

·
7,735 Posts
Strange, I really haven't had any problems with them. They are slightly slower to ship than TG, but it's only a couple days later. And every time I have called, I got somebody right away, who was happy to spend 10 minutes talking to me... Maybe that's the problem... too much customer service for too few people.
You know.. I hear this kind of experience from time to time. I'm always pleased with the quality of parts I (eventually) get from them. But for every story of "they answered on the first ring, got me my stuff in just a couple of days" I hear 5 stories like Jay's and my experience. I'm sure it's hit and miss, just kind of sucks to not know how it's going to work out

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah that's weird I got my clutch in about 4 days and then called them a few weeks ago with a question and got right through no issues. Sucks that you're getting jerked around. I wonder if they're short on stock Japan might be way behind on parts to build the kit (for obvious reasons) and maybe they're avoiding all the phone calls still lame though

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Inchworm is the way to go IMO. Every time I've called them I've got right through and they've been more than helpful. My cases took forever to ship but everything else I've ordered from them they've had sent out the same day. Even if I called late in the day. Also why marlin clutch? You can get an oem aisin or exedy for cheaper and the same quality. A stronger pressure plate is going to crush your thrust washers over time and will eventually trash the motor. Its not common but ubcommon either in toyotas.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
This scares me. I placed an order Friday and need it no later then this Friday. The guy said it would go out Monday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will show tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inchworm is the way to go IMO. Every time I've called them I've got right through and they've been more than helpful. My cases took forever to ship but everything else I've ordered from them they've had sent out the same day. Even if I called late in the day. Also why marlin clutch? You can get an oem aisin or exedy for cheaper and the same quality. A stronger pressure plate is going to crush your thrust washers over time and will eventually trash the motor. Its not common but ubcommon either in toyotas.
first of all OEM is NOT much cheaper. I contacted my dealership and they quoted me $220 for everything. Marlins is $250. There have been quite a few times where I wished my clutch would bite and it wouldnt. the stronger pressure plate will help with that. besides, I talked to 3 different people who actually have the marlin clutch and they all love it. (yes, specifically behind their 2.7) so I figured the extra $30 would be worth it for a higher quality clutch.

In other news, still havent heard from them...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I thought a Marlin clutch was a stock oem replacement? I bought one from Marlin about 5 years ago. The box that it came in and the shipping label said it was from some oem autoparts warehouse.:dunno:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I have read that the 1200lb clutch is just OEM with a different throwout bearing or something like that. But I think they have like a 1600lb clutch that's probably "suped up".

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a stock clutch for the 2.7 has 800 lbs of clamping force. the marlin clutch is 1200 lbs. So it basically has an upgraded pressure plate and throwout bearing with the clutch disk itself being OEM. The 1200 is the only clutch they make for the 2.7.

But fawk, if I dont hear from em or get in touch with them by the end of tomorrow Ill probably cancel my order and go back to the dealership and just get an OEM clutch. The only times ive really had problems with my stock clutch were after it was already worn so a stock clutch would be a fine replacement. I was just hopping for a bit of an upgrade.

·
20,355 Posts
I doubt you will ever have issues with an oem until it wears out or you get it super hot.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I doubt you will ever have issues with an oem until it wears out or you get it super hot.
This.

Your clutch doesn't "bite" because its worn out and has been slipped to hell jay. I'm sure its got hot spots all over the pressure plate (I know mine did) and that's what creates your problem. I'm not saying marlins product is a bad product, just giving you the facts. A stronger pressure plate is going to put more wear on the thrust washers on the crank.

As far as oem replacement. That's from a dealer, of course its going to be expensive. I found aisin clutch kits online with some searching for $180 or so, and exedy for $190. I personally went with exedy because its what I've always ran without issues.

Also, IIRC inchworm sells marlins clutch kits and has better customer service. They've joined forces and both of them sell each others stuff.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts