TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, my month, maybe year, was just made.

So a year ago I bought an 06 IS350 to be my good weather DD while I fix/mod my Tacoma. Not changing a thing from factory but oil or maintenance. I didn't want a DD project. 3 weeks ago it suddenly made this bothersome rattle. Only audible inside. Only in gear, that I could notice. Was somewhat cyclic. I had no idea. Got under it, didn't hear/feel anything. Thoroughly confused and annoyed. I drove it for like 10 miles and went on my truck. I didn't want to kill the trans, but I really couldn't figure it out. SO I've been driving the Yota for 3 weeks or so. Which sucks because I've been collecting parts to SAS / 5spd it.

Well, I did today. After several hours on the next over the last few weeks searching for info. I actually had a cat converter hose clamp break last year. But it was loose on the pipe, very obvious rattle. This was completely different because the bolted part got wedged between the underbody and exhaust.

I am absolutely thrilled. SO I just had to share with the 13 or so people that visit TTORA. lol

This stupid-ass thing was making the following sound. THough this is not my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncKUJQsLGwU

·
Registered
507 Posts
I know that feeling! my 2wd nissan frontier had that same problem. also had the heat shield rattle loose and the sway bar bolt ripped off the lcd and I couldn't find the noise for awhile.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Its not stupid if it made your day.:cool:
Those hands look like the manicured hands of a computer geek (my 26 year old son is one and has hands like that). I have been wrenching my whole life and I am almost fitty. My hands are full of scars and been mangled hundreds of times wrenching (good times), younger generation doesn't seem to be interested in working physically with their hands for a living anymore.
I usually fix everything myself BUT if you call a plumber, electrician or any other trade here usually a brown dude will show up BECAUSE NO YOUNG WHITE KIDS WANT TO WORK WITH THEIR HANDS ANYMORE - we bring immigrants in from other countries to do the work our forefathers did building this country.:(:mad::confused:
We need the younger generation here to man up here and start doing mans work for a living or else everything going down will be done by the brown.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed. I definitely didn't want to think I bought a problem car. Even worse have to fix something this new.

ecar95: Lol ever try using gloves? I'm just taking advantage of that sacrificial cow to spare myself scars. Since I was in my teens my dad has always ragged on me to use ear plugs. Guess what, he doesn't hear about 15% of what I say to him. Scars may be necessary in some cases, but that doesnt make it smart. Just be glad all the nancy boys out there go to shops and support the economy while us stingy fuckers fix our shit ourselves!

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Indeed. I definitely didn't want to think I bought a problem car. Even worse have to fix something this new.

ecar95: Lol ever try using gloves? I'm just taking advantage of that sacrificial cow to spare myself scars. Since I was in my teens my dad has always ragged on me to use ear plugs. Guess what, he doesn't hear about 15% of what I say to him. Scars may be necessary in some cases, but that doesnt make it smart. Just be glad all the nancy boys out there go to shops and support the economy while us stingy fuckers fix our shit ourselves!
I can't work with gloves on, never could. My hearing is fcked from air compressors running next to me for years and using impact tools and never wearing hearing protection. I can't work properly with ear plugs in either. I need bare hands and open ears to do my job, a perfect recipe for aging ungracefully.:(

·
Registered
507 Posts
I can't work with gloves on, never could. My hearing is fcked from air compressors running next to me for years and using impact tools and never wearing hearing protection. I can't work properly with ear plugs in either. I need bare hands and open ears to do my job, a perfect recipe for aging ungracefully.:(
what op stated above is exactly what my parents tried to get us to do so we live a healthier, happier life.

but of course I paint without a mouth/nasal cover, I use power tools without ear plugs and its hard sometimes working with gloves but damn they're worth it.
and it didn't help that in high school I loved loud sounds and now I can't hear a lot of things

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
I may be a young whippersnapper but at least I ain't an old fart. :p:xsmokin1::xmoon:
I am old with hi miles, but tough as nails and always have been (I am a body carnage GOD, doctors shake their heads, straight up). I have run in to my share of HAMMERS in my life and realized that being tough as nails doesn't mean you won't get nailed by a hammer.:missingto
I have damaged every internal organ except my heart and broke just about everything and will still answer the bell if someone rings it (I've learned nothing ;):)).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Gonna chime in here on the glove thing too.

I HATE working with gloves as they end up jamming in the threads of the bolts I put in or tear on the slightest bit of sharp metal, but I love coming away from a project and not have to scrub the shit out of my finger nails to remove oil/grime and look half decent at work the next day. I hate working in an office as much as the next, but it pays the bills and affords me free car parts here. They do expect you to show up and not look like a grease monkey.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Gonna chime in here on the glove thing too.

I HATE working with gloves as they end up jamming in the threads of the bolts I put in or tear on the slightest bit of sharp metal, but I love coming away from a project and not have to scrub the shit out of my finger nails to remove oil/grime and look half decent at work the next day. I hate working in an office as much as the next, but it pays the bills and affords me free car parts here. They do expect you to show up and not look like a grease monkey.
I always figured it is what it is. You wrench cars you get dirty hands. Maybe if I started working with gloves at the beginning I wouldn't mind. If you wore gloves when I was a kid wrenching the other guys would laugh at you and call you a fag. Nobody ever wore masks doing brakes either and there was a lot of asbestos in them back then. I will die doing it the way I have always done, without protection.:cool::) No use closing the barn door after the horse got out.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
what op stated above is exactly what my parents tried to get us to do so we live a healthier, happier life.

but of course I paint without a mouth/nasal cover, I use power tools without ear plugs and its hard sometimes working with gloves but damn they're worth it.
and it didn't help that in high school I loved loud sounds and now I can't hear a lot of things
I remember going to rock concerts back in the day and my ears would ring for three days after and thinking WOW that was some awesome loud show.:)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I started wearing gloves several years ago after handling nasty chemicals at work, it was also nice not having to scrub the piss out of your hands in order to sign paperwork. They have kind of stuck on me now and I am totally used to them when doing stuff on the car or truck at home, I also started using ear and eye protection more often.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
I started wearing gloves several years ago after handling nasty chemicals at work, it was also nice not having to scrub the piss out of your hands in order to sign paperwork. They have kind of stuck on me now and I am totally used to them when doing stuff on the car or truck at home, I also started using ear and eye protection more often.
Maybe free health care is a bad thing for an adrenaline junky (no worries if I fck myself up cause they fix me up free).:saw:

You guys are making me feel like a Neanderthal.:lmao:

One of my elderly neighbours sons is the assistant plant manager at some huge gm autoplex in Ohio (I think he lives in Canfield). I may be driving him down there to visit his son and staying there for a couple days this month. If I do and your nearby and willing maybe we could have a beer and shake hands. I will shoot you a PM if it happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts