TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to Solid Axles but I am getting ready to do a swap and have a chance to pick up this.. Guy is looking for 2K for this built front axle... what do you all think?

Front axle....

-Housing trussed, plated steering stops, shaved drain plug, diff armor
-30-Spline Liongfield Chromo Axles
-Chromo Hub gears
-Fresh Rebuild
-FJ Rotors and ifs brakes
-Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit
-Backing plate eliminators
-Rock Ring Felt protectors
-Marlin Crawler 4cyl Diff w/ Yukon 5.29's and a Detroit Locker
-Triple Drilled Flange
-Solid Pinion Spacer
-Upgraded Steering Studs-Fully Rebuilt w/ new bearings throughout

I just Built the axle 3 trips ago. It has all new parts in it, pretty much nothing is upgradable on it because i spent so much damn money on it already.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
This was under the the black, 22re, 2nd gen runner, correct? Either way it will cost that and more to build it yourself. I would offer 1500 and go from there.......AH, i'm lie'n, I would go find a D60 :)

-Josh

·
Registered
225 Posts
It would definetly cost more to build the same axle to that extent. If it is what you would plan on building, then it is a good buy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Looks like a decent axle but the one thing that caught my eye is that it has the 4cyl third member which is not as strong as the V6 or High Pinion third member. That might be a negotiating point for you if you decide to buy it but for roughly the same money (probably a little more to be honest) you can buy a Diamond axle that's custom width to fit your application and build it to the same spec. The axle you're looking at is only like 56" wide and if you're going to put it on an IFS truck, you'll need to run wheel spacers, whereas you can get a Diamond that will be the right width and not have to mess with wheel spacers, lots of backspacing, frame to tire clearence, etc.
Here's their website if you want to check them out:
http://www.diamondaxle.com/index.htm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was under the the black, 22re, 2nd gen runner, correct?
Ya that's the one. I didn't know he was a member here. Guess he's going 60's. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
UKMyers said:
Ya that's the one. I didn't know he was a member here. Guess he's going 60's. Thanks for the info.
Dont know that he is here, I know the truck from pirate. As for the 4cly third... I think it will be fine in the front. I plan on running one in the front, v6 rear

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow that's impressive you placed a list of parts with somebody's truck. The guy has done 4 SAS's too so if I got that route I am going to have him do the work probably.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
UKMyers said:
Wow that's impressive you placed a list of parts with somebody's truck. The guy has done 4 SAS's too so if I got that route I am going to have him do the work probably.
From apperance I would think that having him (Clifcattankass from pirate) do the work would be safe. I would suggest asking for help and doing it yourself though..thats just how I am though.

I could ID the truck/parts because I followed that (blk, 22re, 2nd gen runner)project. I try to follow all the projects I can as the more I read/folllow, the more I learn :D

-Josh

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
TruckinT said:
That might be a negotiating point for you if you decide to buy it but for roughly the same money (probably a little more to be honest) you can buy a Diamond axle that's custom width to fit your application and build it to the same spec.

Ummm... no you can't. Try a lot more. $2k into a diamond housing gets you a donor axle, the housing and the custom shafts. Still a whole lot more to add.

·
Registered
447 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Ummm... no you can't. Try a lot more. $2k into a diamond housing gets you a donor axle, the housing and the custom shafts. Still a whole lot more to add.
Well, let's add it up. $900 for the housing and shafts (they come with it right?) say $200 for a donor axle, $635 for Longfields (now you'll have a spare set of inner shafts) $195 for a R&P, $100 for a master install kit, and $100 for a knuckle rebuild kit for good measure. What's that? 900+200+635+195+100+100=$2130. Then add in the Detriot because that's what the axle he's looking at has ($495) and we end up at $2625. He must already have the IFS calipers if he said he's getting ready to do a SAS, so no cost for those, and FJ rotors are like $60 a pair. If we add that in and make the number pretty, you're looking at right around $2,700 + or - $ for whoever does the labor. So in my opinion, and I reiterate, MY OPINION, I would splurge a little bit for a diamond that's custom width and much much stronger. Don't get me wrong, that '85 axle is built right, but if you're going to do it right the first time, $700 is a small price to pay for an axle of your desired width.

·
Registered
225 Posts
the inner axles do not come with the diamond housing for $900. they are extra. When I called about one, it was gonna be $1450 plus shipping.

·
Registered
447 Posts
$550 for inners!?!?!? Well, can you buy just the Longfield outers and not the inners to save some coin? That might keep his whole setup around the same price.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
TruckinT said:
$550 for inners!?!?!? Well, can you buy just the Longfield outers and not the inners to save some coin? That might keep his whole setup around the same price.
No, the housing is 1100, custom inner shafts with 30 spline birfs are another 700. I'm pretty sure Brian posted on Pirate that you cannot get a diamond housing to fit stock toy axle shafts.

·
Registered
447 Posts
CronusTRD said:
No, the housing is 1100, custom inner shafts with 30 spline birfs are another 700. I'm pretty sure Brian posted on Pirate that you cannot get a diamond housing to fit stock toy axle shafts.
Where did you get $1100? Here's what the website says:

Pricing:
Toyota Front Housing:
Fabricated center, providing 3/4"+ extra ground clearance
1" thick solid steering stops
3rd Member mounting hardware
Breather
Magnetic fill plug and gasket
$900

Add $50 if you want the balls gusseted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet thread hijack there guys.... I am buying the axle along with a bunch of other goodies to go with it.. stay tuned for a SAS thread.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The axle your looking at is way too narrow, the 4cyl 3rd is a POS, and detroit lockers suck up front. would it work yes...but i wouldnt pay over 1200 for it.
BTW i sold my old 63" wide custom D44 HD, ARB, 5:13's, Chromo axles, CTMS, rock armor, all new ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, setup for hydro assist, for $1500. which is a much better axle than a stock toyota.
My replacement D60 was $3800 fully loaded.

·
Registered
193 Posts
if I can read his sig right, he is putting this in a 94 so it will be fine. that axle is badass and damon beat the shit out of it and I never saw him break anything. but I just had pretty much the same axle for sale on pirate for $1500 but nobody wanted it so I parted out to build my diamond. I added up the cost of my front like that and it was around $2300

1 - 17 of 17 Posts