TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the Hidden Hitch installed, whats the biggest size tire you can fit in the spare location or know of that can fit with the hitch installed with or without modifcations?

Also if anybody else with other brand Hitches do they restrict tire size for the spare?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
nos4you said:
For those that have the Hidden Hitch installed, whats the biggest size tire you can fit in the spare location or know of that can fit with the hitch installed with or without modifcations?

Also if anybody else with other brand Hitches do they restrict tire size for the spare?
you can get a pretty good idea of how big you can go by just estimating. A 33" tire will sit 2" farther back on modified brackets and a 35 will sit 4" farther back. I have my 33x10.50 spare under there and have seen 35x12.50s. you do have to mod the brackets, however.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't estimate because i do not know if the hidden hitches take up space in the spare area that i should account for?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
nos4you said:
I can't estimate because i do not know if the hidden hitches take up space in the spare area that i should account for?
oops, sorry, I thought you already had the hitch.
the member's rig I saw with the 35 stuffed in there had a hitch recepticle that was below the stock bumper. Is that the type you are talking about?

·
Registered
103 Posts
hytenor said:
you can get a pretty good idea of how big you can go by just estimating. A 33" tire will sit 2" farther back on modified brackets and a 35 will sit 4" farther back. I have my 33x10.50 spare under there and have seen 35x12.50s. you do have to mod the brackets, however.
I've been looking to go with some 33x10.5's...can you tell me what type of modifications have to be done to the brackets to fit this size down there?

Craig

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
I think he is talking about the hidden hitch that is sold by toyota or alike. It goes behind the rear bumper and only the hitch shows under the bumper. I read somehere that 33 are a tight squeeze with the factory hitch. I haven't looked under there to verify but I have been curious about this myself. So here is a bump for you to see if anyone with a hidden hitch has a spare larger than a 33.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I dont know the brand of hich I have but my 33 9.50 works great under there.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
camaddy said:
I've been looking to go with some 33x10.5's...can you tell me what type of modifications have to be done to the brackets to fit this size down there?

Craig

I have a 33x12.5 under there and you don't have to do anything except a bend the brackets out a touch.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
camaddy said:

Craig
I removed the brackets and cut off the rear facing ends leaving enough to weld in a spacer. I extended them 2" to accommodate the 33" tire. (4" for a 35") I suppose you can just bend the brackets out like Steve did but I like the way the spare sucks all the way up just like OE ;)

a piece of 1x4x1/4" bar stock does the trick.

the 10.50 doesn't hand down so far like a 12.50 does.
You also don't need much lift to clear them. 2-2.5" is fine. I removed the front mud flaps but have not had to "adjust" the pinch-weld area ;) the work best on stock rims too. The tires will rub the frame rails on occasion but its no biggie. At full compression I have been able to tag the upper inner fender plastic once or twice but who cares ;) You don't need fender flairs for these tires either. Overall traction is just as good as a 12.50 except maybe in deep snow or sand...but, I have had no problems at all in either of these wheeling conditions.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
hytenor said:
I removed the brackets and cut off the rear facing ends leaving enough to weld in a spacer. I extended them 2" to accommodate the 33" tire. (4" for a 35") I suppose you can just bend the brackets out like Steve did but I like the way the spare sucks all the way up just like OE ;)

You also don't need much lift to clear them. 2-2.5" is fine. I removed the front mud flaps but have not had to "adjust" the pinch-weld area ;) the work best on stock rims too. The tires will rub the frame rails on occasion but its no biggie. At full compression I have been able to tag the upper inner fender plastic once or twice but who cares ;) You don't need fender flairs for these tires either. Overall traction is just as good as a 12.50 except maybe in deep snow or sand...but, I have had no problems at all in either of these wheeling conditions.
Mine does sit up tight like the OE one did, it's just a matter of bending the brackets up far enough. :rolleyes: I think you just have more time and like to make things difficult. ......Steve

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
SteveO said:
Mine does sit up tight like the OE one did, it's just a matter of bending the brackets up far enough. :rolleyes: I think you just have more time and like to make things difficult. ......Steve
dang, you must have bent those ends near straight to make that work, LOL

otherwise its the 10# of shtuff in a 5# bag scenario ;)

but yea, I have a tendency to overbuild things and make things more difficult than the need to be ;)

Its probably a tenor thing...similar to a blonde thing ;)

·
Registered
925 Posts
nos4you said:

i have a hidden hitch brand receiver. it fits a worn 33x12.5x15 pretty tightly. i think a new 33 would be a really really tight fit.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
peekay331 said:
i have a hidden hitch brand receiver. it fits a worn 33x12.5x15 pretty tightly. i think a new 33 would be a really really tight fit.
finally, someone who actually has one, LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
hytenor said:

Thanks a bunch. Right now I'm just waiting on my 265/70's to wear out and then I'm going to throw on a spacer lift and the 33x10.5's.

Would there be any benefit in going with a 3" spacer lift over a 2.5" with this tire size? I'll most likely be using an aal in the rear and I'd prefer the 2.5" so I can keep the rear a little higher than the front, but I'll do whatever I need to. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
peekay331 said:
Woo Hoo!!!! Thanks you have answered my question... I think im just going with a 265/75/16 anyway.. or at the biggest a 285/75/16 so it should fit in there..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts