TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking to buy a rooftop tent and i have a few questions.

first off i would like to use it so that the tent could be positioned to where the ladder for the tent was in the bed of the truck, rather than off to the side of the truck... is this possible? its not needed, but this will save space as to where i can camp...

also what is involved if i was just to use a yakima system? i already have a rack on the truck with 2 yakima bars... do i need a third bar or will 2 do it?

can anyone let me know what to expect for pricing, or which brands are economical over another.. i dont need anything that will protect me from extremely harsh elements as i live in norther california, just a nice rooftop shelter.

also, how long does it take to order and receive one?

thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Which yakima rack, the bed rail or roof top version? Is it the general purpose or bike/ski rack? Keep in mind that what ever you use will have to potentially support 2 adults (400 lbs?). Also, where are you camping that the ladder is an issue? It only takes up a few feet of space beside the truck. IMO any roof rack probably won't support this kind of weight. Some peeps are using custom racks that mount to the bed and extend over the roof, but do not rely on the roof to suppoert any weight. I was looking into a roof tent and the good ones are pricey. I believe there is a mfr named Bed Tents, they are reasonably priced, but don't offer fast set up time and aren't super heavy duty. Just depends on your needs and budget.

·
Registered
925 Posts
are camping on cliffs? otherwise, how would the ladder space make a difference? either way, check out the expedition portal board, they have a vendor on there selling roof top tents for around $300 or so, new. looks to be decent.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
we normally go camping in large groups.. at campgrouds where space can be a issue, thats why i wanted to keep things tight...

and less than 1500 or so would be a fair amount to spend

peekay331 said:
either way, check out the expedition portal board, they have a vendor on there selling roof top tents for around $300 or so, new. looks to be decent.

do you have a link to this vendor? i was just cruising around that board and couldnt find much..

·
Registered
925 Posts
i dont have a link. but check out the for sale section. i dont know if the vendor even has a link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.