TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teachers and athletes should swap salaries by funneling entertainment income to the schools.

College graduates should get a tax break for the decade following graduation.

Children should be a tax burden, not a tax break.

Discuss.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not much to discuss as I am in complete agreement...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a server administrator, where I have full access to 1200 servers and as many retarded clients, so no it wasn't left field :lmao:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kids for sure should not be a tax break. Any person supported by a government program should not be able to have them, or keep the ones they have. They obviously were not ready for children if they cannot support themselves.

Tax breaks for college grads? Nope. Not at least until they stop making college a joke. I believe in trade schools. Give someone a skill they can actually use in life. College is just getting easier and easier. A degree no longer holds the same value.

Make every sport pay based on performance like golf and tennis. No more guaranteed contracts. That one is easy.

Teachers getting paid the same as athletes? They should be paid more, but not until the education bar is raised higher. Kids that cannot read out loud in class in college, should have never graduated high school. I can make a monkey pass a standardized test. Actually teach kids, get a raise.

Sorry. I'm 26 and absolutely hate my generation.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Word.

It's difficult to place a value on a degree type, but it could be done. Obviously a technical degree is valuable. However some would argue that a successful artist is also valuable to our culture, and IMO that is one thing we do lack, culture. On trade schools, they could hold a value as well no doubt, but it will depend on where they go in life. For instance a compsci graduate may be worth more to society than a diesel mechanic, or vice versa. Tough call.

On sports, I do not believe tiger woods, for example, is worth tens of millions. His entertainment for one year value could rebuild an entire school district from the gound up.

I do believe the bar would be raised if there was more supply. Teachers are overworked and underpaid, and it's tough to find a good one so dozens of nonchalant teachers make it through before you actually get one that busts ass. Giving a raise to teachers that get A-B students out the door would mean entire classes of illiterate kids.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
The United States should adapt the politics described in the 1959 Robert Heinlein book "Starship Troopers" (if you've only seen the bullshit movie, and never read the book - do not respond)

The overall theme of the book is that social responsibility requires being prepared to make individual sacrifice. Heinlein's Terran Federation is a limited democracy with aspects of a meritocracy based on willingness to sacrifice in the common interest. Suffrage belongs only to those willing to serve their society by at least two years of volunteer Federal Service — "the franchise is today limited to discharged veterans", instead of anyone "...who is 18 years old and has a body temperature near 37 °C" The Federation is required to find a place for anyone who desires to serve, regardless of his skill or aptitude (this also includes dangerous non-military work such as serving as experimental medical test subjects).

There is an explicitly-made contrast to the democracies of the 20th century, which according to the novel, collapsed because "people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted... and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was married to a teacher for several years and have several friends that are teachers.

The two things that they are not is under paid and over worked.
They have the best part time job there is. They work 8:00am till 3:00pm, with all weekends and holidays off. Two weeks off at Xmas, a week in the spring for no fucking reason, and three months in the summer.
Yearly raises that are not biased on merit or production goals of some kind.
Here in NM their benefit packages are second to none and if purchased separately would double current salaries.

And now for a good kick in the ass high school students can't flunk. Teachers cannot give them a F for a grade no matter what.
They aren't worth there pay now why the fuck would you pay them more?
Don't get me started on pro athletes! :2cents:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what kind of laws you have in NM but it is nothing like that in TX. My mom was an engilsh teacher for over a decade. Teachers got paid shit in my ISD and were treated like garbage. Benefits were there, but nowhere near good. I failed several classes in HS during my rough period. After I straightened out I passed my classes, but only because I busted ass. I was in HS 5 years because of that.

·
Registered
992 Posts
i almost didnt graduate because i failed classes in HS. :eek: but like everyone else, i pulled my head out of my ass and got the job done

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was a honor student till my sophomore year when I discovered hot rods and chics. Ended up taking a few classes in night school to graduate on time.

With that said if we were under today's rules back then and I couldn't flunk a class then I wouldn't have give a shit if I had enough english and math credits and neither would the teachers knowing I would graduate anyway.

I hope all other ISDs are different than ours but I doubt it.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People still fail here, so I don't think that ordinance applies in TX. Doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The problem here was not enough students were passing and we couldn't fulfill the state and national requirements for like the no child left behind BS.

The solution no more failing grades issued.

Isn't life wonderful?:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts