TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2004 Tacoma, TRD, 5-speed, there is a very noticeable and irritating drop in RPM at low speed even when I don't lift the accalerator, especially when trying to feather the throtle in the lower gears. It happens at various RPM in both low and high range. Neither the dealer nor an independent shop has been any help. I suspect it may have to do with smog control (it's a California truck) which may mean it is tied to the computer. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so did you resolve it?
Thanks.
azromer

·
Registered
76 Posts
that truck has an eletronic throttle controlled by the ECM not your foot! yes it has a cable but thats just for WOT, mine did the same thing for a long time the dealer never got it to act up so they put a throttle body on itand it went crazy! so they ended up replacing the ECM also, so far so good.

have the dealer check with tech support they should have my problem on record. FOX TOYOTA Rochester, Mich 248-656-0400

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
See this thread: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13283

and this thread: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16753

It is throttle by wire but the cable is not just used at WOT. The cable runs for the pedal to the front of the throttle body where it is used to turn the APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor), the APPS tells the ECU where you’ve moved the pedal (more or less) and it uses the Throttle Motor to turn the throttle which it can then check (for position) using the Throttle Position Sensor.

You may have an APPS issue. Or you might not but the threads will let you understand it all well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i know it's not safe, it failed on me several time while trying to pull out in traffic, you'd think toyota would be more on it than they are.

when they were trying to figure out mine last year toyota tech said they never heard of that problem before:confused:

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Out of the many 3.4 engines out there, the instances where the APPS issue takes place is possibly rare enough so as not to generate a paper trail, informing all Toyota dealers and such. But, if you know you are having the issue, then you can for sure given them a place to start and from those threads, even a few troubleshooting hints.

My guess is that they replaced your Throttle Body because of the APPS and it did not work correctly because they didn’t reset the ECU (which needs to know the correct ranges, balanced between the APPS and TPS). Just a guess.

The good news is that is seems vary rare for those who’ve replaced the throttle body to encounter the issue again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The good news is that is seems vary rare for those who’ve replaced the throttle body to encounter the issue again.[/QUOTE said:
Thats good to know.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts