TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Anyone Ran Across A Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Kit? I Found This Thing On Ebay. Claims 5-7hp Increase Just By Bypassing The Coolant Around The Throttle Body. Has Anyone Tried This Kit? Seems Like A Sound Principle...cooler Throttle Body...denser Air...more Power...? They Are Only Asking Like $15 For The Kit. Thoughts & Comments Appreciated!

'06 Trd Access, Speedway Blue, 17% Tint, Husky Liners, Egr Window Vents, Xm Myfi, Factory Tubes, Valor Tip And Best Of All... Matching Blue Aluminum Valve Stem Caps!! ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I always figured that the coolant going throught the throttle body was too keep it cooled down becuse the throttle body is on top of the motor. I agree with elliot.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think a throttle body spacer and a tornado intake would do much better.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The coolant through the throttle body is there to HEAT it up when it's cold. By doing the coolant bypass mod you decrease intake temps and yes, get more power. But save your money, you can pick up the parts from lowes/home depot for probably under $5.

·
Registered
836 Posts
YoTRacer158 has it right. $2.50 at Home Depot will get you a 3/8" brass double-barb fitting and vaccum caps to do this mod. Just disconnect the coolant lines from the TB and insert the double-barb fitting and cap off the open fittings on the TB. Be warned, I tried this mod during an exceptionally cold couple of weeks and had problems with my IAC sensor. Below ~30* the truck didn't know what RPM to idle. It wanted to stay in high idle all the time and started giving me a P0505 CEL. Kind of a pain in the ass when your trying to creep along below 10mph on icy roads and the engine is trying to run at like 2200! On days that it got above 40* it worked fine. 30-40* was a crapshoot.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The main reason for the coolant passing through the throttle body is to combat icing, caused by the pressure drop at the butterfly, which when happens can completely block the idle feed and keep the truck from idling properly. Also don't spend any money on a spacer or tornado kit; it has no effect on a vehicle utilizing port injection.

·
Registered
518 Posts
John Luttrell said:
Also don't spend any money on a spacer or tornado kit; it has no effect on a vehicle utilizing port injection.
:suicide: NOW YOU TELL ME! UUUUUUUuuuuGHHhh!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm just a newbie, so bear with me with this question. How will the throttle body spacer help? Will it give you a faster throttle response when hitting the pedal? Thx.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is supercharger legal? What kind of $$ do i need to come up with?

·
Registered
261 Posts
This has been discussed alot with those who have TBW(throttle by wire).
I believe this mod was all started with our trucks when the TBW issue started,searching will show you that. Everyone even without the electronic crap started jumping on doing it too,like the seafoam epidemic with everybody mentioning that stuff everyday.
Seems some throttle bodys were acting up/cutting out on people at times worse than others. Some research was done and this seemed to help the problem for some. Now I know a guy running this without the TBW and he makes exceptional power and has never had an issue with the cold starts. Of course he has me topped on performance mods.
I have yet to do this but will in the future cuz I have a funny acting TB too,anything to stop that annoying crap. It cuts in and out just at 0-1psi every time all time now. Dealer will check it out next time it is in there and hopefully he will find something other than its normal.

Sam

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Ok, pardon me for being obtuse here; but 3.4L swept volume, X say 3000rpm, / 60 (for seconds) / 2 (for 4-stroke) is 85 litres per second. I don't know the dimensions of the throttle body, but if it were about 2" diameter and 4" long then the air would pass through it in about 1.8 milliseconds at that flow. I can't imagine how much the air might get heated in that time, even if I'm off by quite a bit.

I can however imagine the cumulative effect of the pressure drop at the butterfly cooling the throttle itself over an interval of time. So on the one hand there may be the potential for icing (depending on where you are), and on the other hand - can someone else take over the calculations and figure out the horsepower gain here?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bump...

As discussed in this thread, as well as the APPS thread (relating to 03/04 Tacomas) there may actually be some merit to bypassing the coolant lines to the TB, and possibly using a throttle body spacer. Not for the power gains, rather to save the TB from excessive heat especially in those that have a supercharger.

Searching brought me to this thread... hoping to find one with more info on the TB coolant bypass. Anyone remember a good thread, potentially with pics?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
After doing the coolant bypass mod...the TB is cool to the touch even after running hard. It definately helped with the APPS problem, mine hasnt cut out since I did the mod. Performance wise? Maybe it helped maybe it didnt...I'm sure the air traveling through the TB is fast enough that it wouldnt really have time to be affected by the temperature of the TB itself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts