TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my throwout bearing has been making some noise for a couple weeks now. More of a sqeeky noise... This means the bearing is going bad right? This wouldnt be safe to take on 400 mile trip correct?
How soon should I worry about this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe....:).......

I have driven many miles with a bad clutch, I would venture to say depending on your trip the less shifting is all the better. But its not the worst one to replace if you had to, I had one that was squeeking though wasnt sure what it was really so ended up doing whole clutch job,,,,other than $$$$ its not a bad job, a few hours and I was good to go.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh ive done one before, no biggie just dont want do something I dont have to..

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
well, That's one of those problems that might last you a while, And it might fall apart tomorrow...

Could you make it.... Sure...

Could you end up on the side of the road broken down.... Sure...

I'd say if you have time to fix it, then do it. wouldn't take that long to fix.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,439 Posts
I've seen those throwout bearings squeak for months with no issues. In fact, I've yet to hear about one totally seizing up while driving. If it was me, I would let it slow me down, but I would start making plans to get it replaced.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, well I am debating if I should go ahead and put a new clutch and resurface the fly wheel while I have the tranny and transfer case out. I dont want to have to drop it a second time in a few months. Ive got 85k on her and yes weve all seen clutches go to 150k but yet again ive seen them last 50. Another member (gregers05) just did his at 80k on the exact same truck, same lift, same size tires, almost a twin of mine that just did his. So Im thinking its time for another one.
Thoughts? Concerns?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I drove my truck for 3 mounth with my throwout bearing out and it still was working fine execpt for the sqeek. I ended up putting in a whole new clucth so I would not have to go back and take it all a part again.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
97yoda said:
I drove my truck for 3 mounth with my throwout bearing out and it still was working fine execpt for the sqeek. I ended up putting in a whole new clucth so I would not have to go back and take it all a part again.
I don't think it will keep you down but you should start making plans to fix it like chucky said. I have been riding with mine squeeking for two years now. The funning thing is that it only squeeks in cold weather. Last winter it squeeked and after that nothing but then it started again this winter. It only starts to squeek while the engine and trany a cold then it goes away after a few minuets. I guess that is why I don't worry as much. Since it started I have pulled my boat I don't know how many times on long hauls and I also just finish pulling a Full Size Bronco on top of a trailer with it going like that. I haven't had a problem but then again I am probably pushing it. Hey, don't worry about it, it's a TOYOTA!..... :D :D :D

GL!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Ive been looking at clutch kits. Man I didnt know they were that expensive! I did the clutch on my 4runner for like 150 with the fly wheel resurfaced. Thats hella cheaper. Its like 3-500 for a kit! Should I replace the pressure plate also? Or just buy a clutch disc and throw out?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
yup, now if you offroad a lot then it is worth putting the money into a good clutch. if you are going to replace the bearing, and if you know the clutch is going to need replacing pretty soon, then it's just best to do it all at the same time so you won't have to do it twice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts