TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so last winter and this winter i noticed my truck develops a ticking noise that sounds likes its coming out of the drivers side of the engine back. its to far to the side to sound like its coming from the motor. it does slow down and speed up with rpm, and it only does it after the engine warms up after being started. its a 3.4 liter. it doesnt seem to affect performance or anything tho. its fawkin annoying me tho.

any help would be sweet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my truck. For me it was two things. 1. Not enough tension on the belt that went around the power steering pump. 2. The tension pully bearing was going out. I replaced the bearing and added some tension and everything was fine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm i will czech that out. it only does it at like 20 degrees F and under. i never hear a sound in the summer at all

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I get that noise the same time every year, its been in the teens here for the last few weeks, and when i start up i get a hard knocking noise for a few seconds, then goes away, from years past, and threads past, i've learned that this is a common noise in cold weather, so I just crank up the tunes, and forget about it....

·
Registered
518 Posts
yeah i just started getting this noise too since it has gotten cold. I dont think it is the valves because it doesn't really have a rythm like a valve tap does. the noise speeds up and slows down with rpms. I was thinking it was m bearing on my powersteering pump pully because my powersteering pump has been whining for a couple months.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
ShowStop said:
I remember some discussion about this a while ago. Supposedly it was related to the valves.
I've heard the same explanation; valve lifter noise. Most vehicles I've owned make the same sound during the cold months.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
mudferret said:
I've heard the same explanation; valve lifter noise. Most vehicles I've owned make the same sound during the cold months.
Valve Tap is my vote for sure. Though Toyota's are not nearly as known for this like Isuzu's are. Back when I had a RODEO... it was an Isuzu mating call. Some 0 weight oil was the universal fix, even in cold weather. Give it a shot next time you replace your oil and see if that helps...

Oh and I love the Domo Kun munchin' rug... Histerical!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so is this something i need to get asap as in it could be terminal. its above 30 degrees today so its not doing it of course

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine 2.7 makes a similar noise. It went away when I started using toyota oil filters. Who Knows?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mine did it until I had around 170,000 miles on the engine and then it went away until I got the valves adjusted and now it is back...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah Valve tap is not an emergency... I think it is more anoying than anything. But if it gets louder and sounds like more friction (than under it's normal noise level when cold) you'll want to adress it sooner than later. Like I said the first thing to try is a zero weight oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
Lysmachia
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing