TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, both of my inner tie-rods are fucked..... I just replaced the passenger side inner tie rod this time last year, so I'm kinda pissed about that. Anyways, how difficult would it be to do myself? I was quoted $450 by a shop today, hell I could just buy an entire rack for that damn much. Does anyone have a write up on replacing these? I did a search and couldn't find much, just rack replacement for the most part.... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Its easy dude.. save the 400 and DIY. Just buy both inners. loosen the lock nut on the outers and unscrew it all the way. mark where the outter goes into the inner with a marker. remove outer tierods from knuckle. unscrew the outer from the inner. on the back of the inner (towards the center of the vehicle) there is a little metal plate with some tabs bent onto the inner tierod. bent those out and use a large wrench to remove the inner. goes back on the same way you took it off. I did this with the vehicle on the ground.. start to finish for both sides was 2.5 hrs. I did one side at a time. I think there is a write up in the wikki.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I'm gonna have my friends dad(transmission rebuilder) take a peek at it and see what he can do w/ it. I'll search the wikki :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
No problem. You wont have any trouble.. and youll be happy you just did it yourself. Ive never taken my truck in for service.. just always do it myself and learn how... this way.. if it breaks on the trail I can fix it up:)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunk said:
No problem. You wont have any trouble.. and youll be happy you just did it yourself. Ive never taken my truck in for service.. just always do it myself and learn how... this way.. if it breaks on the trail I can fix it up:)

I agree, I'm just slightly intimidated by the steering system on our trucks haha! That write up in the wiki is pretty damn good I must say, excellent pics as well :D!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wslytoy said:
For some reason, both of my inner tie-rods are fucked..... I just replaced the passenger side inner tie rod this time last year, so I'm kinda pissed about that. Anyways, how difficult would it be to do myself? I was quoted $450 by a shop today, hell I could just buy an entire rack for that damn much. Does anyone have a write up on replacing these? I did a search and couldn't find much, just rack replacement for the most part.... Thanks!

$450??!!! hell I bet I could buy a round trip ticket, buy the part and charge you my SF opera hourly rate to fix it, LOL

get the TR aftermarket and replace it yourself...probably take you a half hr, tops. You'll have to get another wheel alignment though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
hytenor said:
$450??!!! hell I bet I could buy a round trip ticket, buy the part and charge you my SF opera hourly rate to fix it, LOL
Yes but would you sing while you were fixing it?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
7wt said:
Yes but would you sing while you were fixing it?
for that price? sure :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did the one on the right in 20 minutes.. I bought inner tie rod at NAPA auto parts with life time warranty for $52. It took me less time than my friend who was changing his oil in his truck at the same time.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ShowStop said:
I'm too lazy to look up the price, but I remember the factory OEM inner TREs to be like $100 or so each. So with parts running about $200, you would save yourself $250 in labor to do the work yourself.

One of our lease customers at work is Napa, and one of the parts guys said he'd give me a good deal on both of them, so I'm actually hoping to come out cheaper than $100 for both of them :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
wslytoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing