TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just priced OEM tie rods, inners and outer for 4WD and it's about $450 wholesale.

I always try to use OEM but not sure in this case. My truck is 20 years old and I keep it in great shape but how much longer will it be around?

Is there a particular after market brand which is good quality?

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, all the parts on Amazon even the bellows. Reviewers say the inners look exactly like the OEM.

In the FSM, the tie rod inner ends are covered in the rack disassembly but I do not see the outer removal or install.

Based on youtube videos it's straight foreword but for something that your life may depend on probably best not too wing it.

For torque settings on inner tie rod and jam nut using a open end wrench I would guess it's OK to estimate. Blue loctite also according to youtube and of course stake the washer.

For removing outers, use a hammer to strike the mount? Could not find the castle nut torque spec in FSM but youtube says 67 ft lbs and course tighten only to align cotter pin hole.

Out of curiosity, for torque settings on nuts where you can only use a open end, do people use those ratchet to open end adapters? Seems like there might be a small correction factor.

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
$450 sounds like a helluva high price. I paid $45 for one outer tie rod (Genuine Toyota Parts). I haven't priced the inner tie rod but $175 is outrageous IMO.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, all the parts on Amazon even the bellows. Reviewers say the inners look exactly like the OEM.

In the FSM, the tie rod inner ends are covered in the rack disassembly but I do not see the outer removal or install.

Based on youtube videos it's straight foreword but for something that your life may depend on probably best not too wing it.

For torque settings on inner tie rod and jam nut using a open end wrench I would guess it's OK to estimate. Blue loctite also according to youtube and of course stake the washer.

For removing outers, use a hammer to strike the mount? Could not find the castle nut torque spec in FSM but youtube says 67 ft lbs and course tighten only to align cotter pin hole.

Out of curiosity, for torque settings on nuts where you can only use a open end, do people use those ratchet to open end adapters? Seems like there might be a small correction factor.

Thanks
I think you'd know well before the tie rod inner unthreaded itself completely, your alignment would be ridiculous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts