TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get my truck aligned and they told me my tie rods needed to be replaced. you can wiggle the tire back and forth quite a bit. Is this expensive to replace? I can prolly do it myself.
thanks
Matt

·
609 Posts
WhyHikeAU said:
I went to get my truck aligned and they told me my tie rods needed to be replaced. you can wiggle the tire back and forth quite a bit. Is this expensive to replace? I can prolly do it myself.
thanks
Matt
Hit up TRDparts4U.com and get the price. It's not hard to do. You just need an alignment afterwards. If they have it on the rack now tell them not to align cause it will be off and needed to be done again after the tierods are replaced.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's just tie rod ends on both sides, not hard to replace. Count the number threads prior to disassembly so you can get it close when you reassemble. The boots are the hardest part, the clamps that hold them on can be a PITA without the proper tool.
As Wisctaco04 said you'll need another alignment after replacing them, and trdparts4u will probably be the best price.

Tim

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
WhyHikeAU said:
thanks
Matt
With both of the front tires off the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at the rack to rule out that possibility. Is it the inner or outer tie-rods that are bad? The inners weren't that hard to replace, you just want to count the threads to get it close to being aligned when you are done. I havent replaced the outers, so I dont know how that would go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I replaced one of my inner tre`s just a few weeks ago. It ran me about $100.
I`ve never replaced the outers before so I can`t help ya with that price

·
Registered
205 Posts
WhyHikeAU said:
i already replaced the bushings with the energy suspension ones, how can you tell wether it is the inbners or outers that are bad (tie rods)
It`s easier to locate if you have a buddy to help.
Put the front up on stands, have the steering wheel unlocked, have buddy grab the wheel at 9:00 and 3:00 o`clock position and work the wheel back and forth while you watch for play in the tie rod ends.

·
Registered
469 Posts
When you put them on, adjust them so that when you measure the distance between the front and the rear of the tires is the same. It will be close enough to get you to the alignment shop. I did a Blazer like that once and actually got it in specs according to the alignment guy. :)

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Noone mentioned it yet, but I had to grind down a wrench to make it skinnier so it would fit on the tie rod (inner). EVERY wrench I had was too fat. I had to grind it on a big ass belt sander. You'll see what I mean when you get the boots off the rack.

--Scott

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Fishbone said:
Noone mentioned it yet, but I had to grind down a wrench to make it skinnier so it would fit on the tie rod (inner). EVERY wrench I had was too fat. I had to grind it on a big ass belt sander. You'll see what I mean when you get the boots off the rack.

--Scott
We had to do the same when we did my inners, pain in the ass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts