TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a months ago i went to townfair tire to get an alignment. “You’ll need new tie rods for us to correctly align your front end,” townfair told me as if I new WTF they were specifically talking about. I asked which one(s) needed to be replaced and I can’t remember what they said. With my goelanders quickly wearing that dreaded cupping pattern, how does a layperson know which tierod –inner or outer – needs replacing? I’ve looked into the price of the parts and they aren’t that expensive, so I want to tackle this myself. Aside from the usual tools, what specialized tools are needed? My Haynes manual blows as usual about how to do this. Any assistance would be appreciated!

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
a months ago i went to townfair tire to get an alignment. “You’ll need new tie rods for us to correctly align your front end,” townfair told me as if I new WTF they were specifically talking about. I asked which one(s) needed to be replaced and I can’t remember what they said. With my goelanders quickly wearing that dreaded cupping pattern, how does a layperson know which tierod –inner or outer – needs replacing? I’ve looked into the price of the parts and they aren’t that expensive, so I want to tackle this myself. Aside from the usual tools, what specialized tools are needed? My Haynes manual blows as usual about how to do this. Any assistance would be appreciated!

not sure, but I had my outers replaced ~3 years ago, and may need the inners now. I`ll probably do that let an alignment, but it can be dealt with for alot longer-mine just wanders sometimes.....after that your looking at a new rack.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
If the tie rods are not bent to shit, I don't see any reason why you would need those. The tie rods from the stealer are about $70 though, so they might be needing some money from you :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm....first i'm gonna douche the entire thing with penetrating fluid and see if i can persuade them loose. If i can break'em loose, then i'm heading back to the Sallys at townfair. If not, i'll take the hit money-wise and spend a weekend fixing this. Good thing i have two beers on tap - this seems like a lengthy project for a weekend warrior!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
The outer TREs are a strong design, its the inner TREs that usually wear out first. Pull the black boot back and check the inner TRE for any play. You'll need a large wrench to remove the inner if you plan to replace it. I use a 15" crecent when I replace mine. The online FSM has all the info you need about replacing TREs.
www.deserted1.com/FSM/

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hmmm....first i'm gonna douche the entire thing with penetrating fluid and see if i can persuade them loose. If i can break'em loose, then i'm heading back to the Sallys at townfair. If not, i'll take the hit money-wise and spend a weekend fixing this. Good thing i have two beers on tap - this seems like a lengthy project for a weekend warrior!
if you dont have a huge cresecent wrench (12" or larger), you can always use a pipe wrench.

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
or make one :)

also, make sure you get TOYOTA parts for this, i didnt and snapped an inner TRE on the highway, almost lost a lot that night.

and get new inner washers and replace them. bend them over properly to make sure everything stays together nicely.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i just replaced both inners and outers for $100 shipped to my door. i just used channel locks for the inners and i bought a tre puller from autozone for like 8 bucks.

i got my tre's from www.macautoparts.net

1 - 10 of 10 Posts