TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the power steering pulley have a pivot nut as well as a lock and adjust nut?

If it does have a pivot bolt, which one is it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phong,

I loosened the lock nut and realized when attempting to turn the adjustment screw it would have eventually bent because the pulley wasn't pivoting. I was going by the manual found at http://fsm.afraid.org/ Guess it's for a different year than mine because it makes no mention of a pivot bolt on the ps pump, just a lock nut and adjustment screw like there is for the a/c idler pulley.

I just don't know which bolt is the pivot bolt. The pump seems to be attached in so many places it's hard to tell where the pivot point is. There's a nut directly above the lock nut, but it's so close to the back of the pulley I needed an open end wrench (which I didn't have) to reach it since my ratchet wouldn't fit. Maybe that's the pivot bolt? Seems like they would make it more accessible like the alternator's though.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
g8er_h8er said:
Hi Phong,

Did you already remove the belt?
I am not sure if you are trying to do w or w/o removing the fan-
But if you pull the fan out and remove the pulley behind the fan- you can remove the belt & relieve the tension-

I vaguely remember removing about two other nuts (in addition to the adjust bolt & locking nut) and that seemed to do the trick- Look around the bracket holding the PS assembly- (I recall it was not as cooperative as the Alternator)

I won't be able to look at my truck until this evening after work-
If I get a good look - I should be able to describe it better

Also- Look at the the section on Timing belt removal- IIRC - FSM suggests to remove the PS assembly in that diagram - you should be able to see which other bolts to loosen- You don't need to remove them just loosen them

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
drabnor said:
the best thing you can do is get a set of these.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942407000

it makes belt removal/instalation sooooo much easier
Its funny you mention those 7 pc rev. ratcheting wrenches-

I will be selling an extra set I have -
They are on Clearance at Sear's for $34.97
They went on Clearance at all the local Sears in Houston
I ended up picking up 4-5 sets for the Local TTORA guys

Ratcheting wrenches come in very handy-

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drabnor,

Do they make those without the star pattern? My alternator pivot bolt was on so fricken tight it was unbelievable. Had I been using a star shaped ratchet, the bolt head would have surely stripped.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
g8er_h8er said:
Phong, I'm just trying to tighten the belt, so the fan has not been removed.
Wasn't sure what stage you were in. When I replace my belts- I like to have everything worked out during the removal stage to facilitate the reinstall phase-

As far as wrenches for- Those ratcheting wrenches are great.-
The ones that Drabnor linked only come in 12pt as far as I know. -
I normally don't use my ratcheting wrenches in High torque situations-
Once I have loosened them via Socket/impact, or box end of wrench - I will then swith to the ratcheting wrench or socket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem. I only have 45,000 miles on these belts, and they have no cracks/nicks, visually, so I was hoping a small adjustment is all that is needed at this point to get rid of the minimal chirping I hear on occasion (cold/wet). When I turn 60,000 I had planned on replacing them all since I will be in there anyways doing a bunch of other stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts