TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am nearing 100k on my Tacoma (3.4 auto ext. cab). Mods are OME882 up front, rebuilt leafs in rear, 33x10.50 BFG A/T on stock alloy 15x7. Still stock 4.10 gears in rear. And as much as I hate to admit it my truck is a Prerunner, I wish I had gotten a 4wd now, but none the less, Its still my truck and I love it. So for the Christmas season I have asked only for money and my grandparents and parents have agreed to give the gift early so I can work on my truck during Christmas break (I'm in college). With two and a half weeks left I am starting to plan and order parts. I have about $400 to work with.

First off I am getting new front shocks, and everybody I've talked to says use OME shocks with OME coils. --- So OME shocks approx. $200 (free install, my girlfriends dad is a service tech and has a coil compressor at his shop)

Next my truck is near 100k and believe I need to change my transmission fluid. --- To have it drained and filled and all is about $80.

That leaves approx $120.

I know $120 is not much at all, heck when it comes to trucks $400 is not a lot either. How would you folks use the last 120? would you just save it and put it in the bank? or would you use it on something else? should I change out or upgrade anything else at 100k? plugs, wires, etc etc?

Thanks in Advance...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dick Foster said:
At 100K it's time for a timing belt and water pump if you haven't as yet.
Is timing belt something I do can myself with mechanic help, or should it be taken somewhere? what about the water pump? Does brand matter, I hate to pay Toyota's insane high prices for these parts.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
you could save some money on the tranny change and do it yourself. Im with dick on just doing the 100k maintenence Items.. Youll need to DIY as the parts will eat up what you have left.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if this matters but I reckon it can't hurt to include. When I installed my lift and tires I noticed a drop in gas millage, and it seemed to be consistent, within the past 3 to 4 tanks, I have noticed a dramatic decrease in millage. For example, the trip to and from college took a 1/4 tank, recently its been taking more like 3/8 of a tank, no a/c or heater on , using cruise control. all interstate, no stop and go.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dunk said:
you could save some money on the tranny change and do it yourself. Im with dick on just doing the 100k maintenence Items.. Youll need to DIY as the parts will eat up what you have left.
I don't know for sure but for some reason I remember hearing that if you drain and fill yourself it will only remove about 1/2 of the fluid. It has to be pumped to drain it all. Can i pump it myself, if so, how?

·
20,355 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
That is normal. You've jacked the truck up in the air and increased drag. You have made the engine do more work. Unless you regear your diffs by the same percentage of tire size change you will also have a loss in getting away from stop signs and such. In the world of physics, nothing is free.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dick Foster said:
That is normal. You've jacked the truck up in the air and increased drag. You have made the engine do more work. Unless you regear your diffs by the same percentage of tire size change you will also have a loss in getting away from stop signs and such. In the world of physics, nothing is free.
Thanks for the explain. However when I installed tires and lift (spring of this year) I noticed a change, and the gas millage was consistent after the change. However within the last little while I have noticed it has started to worsen a little more each tank these last few tanks. I don't know what is causing it to do so, however I will be replacing my plugs ASAP, the timing belt and water pump will wait until Christmas break, also the transmission flush and shocks install will also. I only have 2 more weeks and then 2 exams the following week. So I should be able to hold out a few hundred miles until then.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
You may have winter gas blends in your area. They put in more alcohol and you get less mileage. I've noticed this pretty much happens every winter. The weather gets cold and people complain about reduced mileage. It's because the fuel often changes with the seasons.
Still jacking the truck up and putting on larger tires is going to cost you mileage.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dick Foster said:
You may have winter gas blends in your area. They put in more alcohol and you get less mileage. I've noticed this pretty much happens every winter. The weather gets cold and people complain about reduced mileage. It's because the fuel often changes with the seasons.
Still jacking the truck up and putting on larger tires is going to cost you mileage.
I had not heard anything of the sort, good info. thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i picked up some spark plugs this weekend, and did a lil wrenching with a fellow local TTORA member. got his oil changed and a few other things squared away on his and changed my plugs. it runs alot smoother (sp?) and the exhaust (flow 50 single in dual out) sounds a bit deeper and defined. the truck seems to be a lil more throttle responsive than before. i know that the spark plugs didnt give me an extra 15 hp but i never knew how much proper maintance could make such a difference. i can see now my vision was so clouded by aftermarket parts and flashy advertising, when after all the key to owning and maintaing a great truck is proper maintance and care.

future plans are for a radiator flush and fill before it gets real cold, transmission service, installing new shocks (new ome's are in the mail) and mainly just takin some time to clean up the vehicle, checking connections, makin sure stuff is greased properly and all. and of course a t-belt and possible water pump.

thanks for the help guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
RENEGADE76254
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing