TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid newb question as this will be my 1st SAS but my buddy, who has done two 2nd gen toyotas, and i and a couple other people who will come and go are wondering what kind of a timeframe do we need to expect to do the swap on my taco. i got everything ready to go and have been planning for months but everytime we set a date we have to change it cause someone is busy on a sunday and it wont give us a whole weekend to finish. all we are doing the 1st weekend is getting it driveable. the axle is set up and i wont be making a driveshaft or modifying crossmembers. just cutting ifs off, which i have already removed CVs diff and hubs, welding on front crossmenber and spring hanger as well as shackle mounts in the rear, positioning ifs box and welding that plate and steering install on, making steering shaft, shock hoops welded on, hang springs , hang axle and cut drag link to length. this is more or less what we know we gotta do minus some details i am not thinking of right now and am to lazy to type but do u think this thing could get done if all goes to plan starting on friday at noon and finishing saturday evening late or maybe going a bit into sunday if need be or is this a lofty goal. the folks who are helping me are about as good as anyone i know at helping me do the work so im not worried about that but what im looking for is how fast of a job can doing the swap be. and if need be it can remain parked and i wont throw something together but would like to drive it home. thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
Give yourself at least 3 full days. We had it "all planned out too" but it took an extra day. This was also just to get it drivable. Doing a sas on a taco is a ton different than doing one on an older yota. The guys I had helping me have done older yota sas's in a full day and it took us from thursday night till monday morning to complete mine.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Are you doing leaf springs or links? links will take longer for sure!

when I did mine I planned on three days! Might have made it if I didn't make a bonehead mistake and had to wait an extra week on a misorderd part.

you always have to account for the unknown!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replys, pretty much what i was expecting but i can dream cant i....anyone else got some info?
also forgot to mention im doing leafs to answer bears question

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Like others have said, 3 days. I finished mine in 2 but needed the 3rd to track down new bleeder screws and copper washers. Little shit you can easily forget can tie you up an extra day.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can take time to track stuff down....my problem is im hoping to put her under the knife no later than 12 on friday and have all the torching, welding, and cutting done by late saturday evening. i can play with details all day on sunday but my buddy has some stuff to do on sunday and hes the one that i trust welding, not me, dont trust my skills enough yet. so i can do the brake bleeding and what not on my own i just need to have everything cut up and welded on by then....is this a possible goal do u guys think?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
If you are deligent with your tasks on Friday, you could have everything welded in place within your time frame for your buddy to be finished welding by Sunday.

Hell if you want to get down to it, excluding the frame grinding, the welding of the brackets and cutting really doesn't take that long.

the things we really took our time on regarding fabrication was the weld in bungs for the tie rod and drag links and welding the steering shaft together.

You said you already had the brackets in place so as I said, if you are "nose to the grind stone" stay focused and avoid any major issues, you could get it done. But remember this isn't a project you want to rush through.

But typically three days is the norm! Mine took an extra week due to stupidity. and I was also taking my time. The time down waiting for the part also helped me slow down and take my tiime with some details.

Is your axle already rotated? If not plan on that taking most of one day just in it's self.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep axle is ready to go under the truck minus the tie rod....and yea i understand this isnt a project i want to throw together...last thing i want to do is destroy all my parts that i have been saving for a year now to buy...or destroy my truck as well....so thanks for the replys and keep them coming if everyone feels fit

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
What I would do is make provisions to rent a cheap car for at least one to two days just in case. You are only talking about 60-80 buck. I am telling you now that having that to fall back on is going to be a huge help. The one thing you do not want to do is rush you swap. Plan on getting it done in the three days you have scheduled out, but have a plan if it does go long. Not only do you not want to rush this work, but you don't want to be driving a vehicle that might not be safe for the highway, that is bad for everyone.
I do not see why you couldn't get it done in that time frame, but experience tells us all that things do not always work out like they are planned. The smart man has a backup plan....Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My '00 taco took 6weeks to SAS, my 87' runner has take'n 4 months to date and it not finished.

It just depends on what your doing man. I swap the taco, i'm building a whole rig with the runner.

-Josh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts