TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 v6 Taco... no high performance modifications to it...so i'm not sure what to get. I went to the local stealership and they had the denso for like $3. I was thinking they are supposed to be like $10 or so... I went to Napa and they said NGK. Now I'm not sure which to get. Any info would be great. Thanks and sorry for the Noob question.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You have the V6 engine. I believe the V6's from the factory came with Denso plugs on the driver's side and NGK on the passenger side? Hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm that.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Yep - and the denso wear alot more wore than the NGK on my truck. I recommend the NGK's

You have the V6 engine. I believe the V6's from the factory came with Denso plugs on the driver's side and NGK on the passenger side? Hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
X2

Just changed mine out not too long ago and went with the factory config due to lack of funds. I made the mistake of getting platinums (very bad for a waste spark setup - I think that is the technical term). After much searching I found three preferred options:

1) Factory $
2) All NGK $$
3) Iridiums $$$$

I'll probably do the Iridiums down the road so I don't have to do it again for ~100k miles.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Stay away from Bosch. They ran great for a day or two but after that they sucked, and my milage dropped. My refunds pending right now.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Stay away from Bosch. They ran great for a day or two but after that they sucked, and my milage dropped. My refunds pending right now.
You know, now that you mention it, I just put Bosch Platinums in mine about 800 miles ago, and it has since seemed to run... well, a lot wussier. And the milage isn't doing so hot, either. I hadn't suspected the spark plugs as being the cause (honestly, I was of the "they're all the same, right?" mentality). Maybe I'll shell out the extra bucks for a better brand/variety!

-Radar

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
A lot of other users also have problems with the ceramic insulators on the Boshs's breaking and falling into the motor.

My brother has had this happened to him. 94 Silverado, and 6 of the 8 plugs didnt have the insulator.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just stick with OEMs.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Don't buy Bosch (anything)
Don't bother spending the money on Iridiums they aren't worth it (no they will not go for 100k mine barely made 50k and I should have changed them long before that)

Stick with Denso or NGK factory replacement plugs.

·
Registered
854 Posts
ok so whatever the stealership sales for it. that will work?
Yep, the dealer should have both Denso and NKG plugs available. I know most people just replace them with Denso all the way around, or you could go with the factory configuration as stated above. Denso's on the driver's side, NKG's on the passenger side.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I just put Bosch Platinums i..... Maybe I'll shell out the extra bucks for a better brand/variety!
-Radar
Actually- the OEM Densos are cheaper than the Bosch plugs

·
Registered
279 Posts
What is the purpose of running denso's on one side and NGK's on the other? Does is provide more thorough combustion? I don't think I've heard of that before on any vehicle.

·
Registered
854 Posts
What is the purpose of running denso's on one side and NGK's on the other? Does is provide more thorough combustion? I don't think I've heard of that before on any vehicle.
I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I'm just telling the original poster that Denso's on the driver's side and NKG on the passenger side is how the plugs come from the factory on the V 6's. Maybe your question would best be answer from Toyota themselves since they are the one's who arrange them that way. If it were me, I'd keep it simple and just get OEM Denso's all the way around. With the 4 banger, it's just 4 plugs running on top of the engine, and I have Denso's there myself and have never had a problem.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
wow - denso wear faster than NGK's
How have you come to this conclusion?
Please give specific mileage for both sides and how many times you have changed them

1 - 20 of 57 Posts