TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 V6 Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Time for a bit of heavy mtx on my '97 V6 Taco. Looking at having the R150F 5 speed manual transmission rebuilt. I can handle the rear main seal & clutch assembly replacement, no sweat. The original OEM clutch has performed very well for me & is still working fine which makes the Aisin CKT-040 clutch kit appear very appealing. But after reading ShowStop's posts, will definitely consider going back with the Exedy 16087 clutch kit. And I can just do an exchange with ECGS on the front clamshell diff if I feel it needs it. Would like to have Marlin Crawler do the rebuild on the tranny. But the 3-4 months they need puts return right at the peak of hurricane season here in MS. Would prefer to have the '97 Taco up and running before hurricane season begins. Anyone have experience with another quality manual trans rebuilder? TIA!

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you are in Norcal I used All Standard transmission in Campbell.
I almost brought mine to Marlin but glad I didn't because they have an odd policy (do not see it now but was before) where the trans you are supplying cannot have any "excess wear". They likely would have returned it to me as a box of parts. Not sure why anyone would bring in a perfectly working transmission but I think its because they are fixed price.

My input shaft was worn, 5th gear shaft splines broken (common problem on pre 99's), new center plate and all new bearings for about $1200. They didn't even charge me for the 5th gear shaft, had one lying around that was newer version with proper splines. They used all Toyota parts because from what I have heard Toyota was constantly changing those transmissions (and others) so generic might be a crap shoot.

Just make sure where ever you take it all they do is manual trans rebuilds - including lots of Toyota. This is skilled labor and the occasional builder will likely %^$# it up. I read once a guy had Toyota do it (rare for them to rebuild on site) and I believe it took 2 or 3 tries to get it right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ShowStop,
Getting a lot of bearing/gear noise in 5th especially under full throttle under load. I can motor down the Interstate in 4th with no bearing noise at all. But I might as well address it during the hot Mississippi summer while the truck mostly sits.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,715 Posts
That would likely indicate the one of the bearings on the countershaft is going out. So yeah, time to open it up and check everything out. Toyota manual transmissions aren't that complicated, so any good transmission tech should be able to service it. Ask around for local referrals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have not been able to get a single referral on a good manual transmission shop in my area. And sadly, virtually all the major work I have had done on the truck previously was substandard. A local transmission and diff. shop torched both my axles when they burned the axle bearings off instead of pressing or splitting them off (below). Another full time auto shop pressed both front wheel bearings in the knuckles backwards with the metal shield facing inboard. Yet another shop installed new CVs without the dust shields. I finally wound up correcting the above mistakes myself. There is an ATRA transmission shop over in Jackson that also does manuals and diffs. so will go talk to them. But I try my level best to stay away from Jackson as it is a war zone. I may well just change the bearings and seals out in the R150F myself. Austin Niemela has an excellent video on rebuilding an R150F on YouTube. It looks to be pretty straight forward. I have never had to work on an R150F before but have worked on several Ford and Jeep manual transmissions over the past 50 years. However, I would definitely be more than happy to pay for a quality rebuild. At almost 69, I really don't need to be sweating over a transmission in the 90+ degree summer heat.

This is some very sad workmanship. I was a full-time welder for years so can easily wash bearings and locking rings off with a cutting torch without damaging the axle. And there is a similar torch cut on the other side of this axle. It would have been better to split the bearings/locking rings off the axle with a sharp cold chisel which only takes a few minutes. I have had to use that method when a shop press was not available (below).
Wood Automotive tire Rim Cylinder Gas
Wheel Bicycle part Rim Auto part Circle

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,715 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Sometimes I get pampered with the large availability of good quality shops in LA. We still have our fair share of ones to avoid, but the good ones do know their stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sure can relate to your pains with the lack of quality service facilities and vendors. Seems like any more 90% of the time if you pay someone to do something it is sub-par work, Pretty much most vendors now just call themselves professionals at something and are they are no more than a shade tree mechanics in their respective field. I wish I was exaggerating with the 90% figure too. For this reason I do 99% of all my own work. Lucky for me I have the tools, knowledge and experience to do it but feel for those that don't.

A good example. I had found over the years that ZUK off the the forums was a true professional at setting up differentials. Even though I have the full ability to do them properly I would send mine to him to do since most of the time I was too busy with work and what not. Now even he has stopped taking on non local or shipped in work. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes indeed! ZUK (Ken) rebuilt my rear diff with auto locker 4 years back. ZUK does outstanding work on diffs. But with him taking it easy in semi-retirement, I will be looking to ECGW for the front clamshell diff rebuild with an auto locker after I get this R150F tranny done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts