TTORA Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Im trying to explain this because you asked if the 15 degrees advanced was normal. When others explained that it was wrong you seemed to get defensive and act like we didnt know what we are talking about.
Please look at it from my stand point, I have a truck sitting in the garage with it cracked open...some guy replys, saying "I've never worked on a 3.4..." or something to that effect, well, I can only accept your advice, but I really needed to be sure with a veteran on here thats had the SPECIFIC experience. I'm taking no offense to your post, its quite valid, I just needed somemore info as to accomodate an answer of "no". My questions were why, not yes or no.

Once John, Jomentum, and Bear responded (And I've seen many quality posts from these guys who have worked on their 3.4) I was able to understand more what my engine was doing.

My appologies if you felt attacked or disregarded, same to the other guy that initally posted...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please look at it from my stand point, I have a truck sitting in the garage with it cracked open...some guy replys, saying "I've never worked on a 3.4..." or something to that effect, well, I can only accept your advice, but I really needed to be sure with a veteran on here thats had the SPECIFIC experience. I'm taking no offense to your post, its quite valid, I just needed somemore info as to accomodate an answer of "no". My questions were why, not yes or no.

Once John, Jomentum, and Bear responded (And I've seen many quality posts from these guys who have worked on their 3.4) I was able to understand more what my engine was doing.

My appologies if you felt attacked or disregarded, same to the other guy that initally posted...
I am doing the timing belt on my 98 3.4 tacoma.i just ran into the same thing.both cams line up perfectly on the timing marks,but the harmonic balancer says 15 degrees,not zero.what did you end up finding out?
What was the definitive fix?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I am doing the timing belt on my 98 3.4 tacoma.i just ran into the same thing.both cams line up perfectly on the timing marks,but the harmonic balancer says 15 degrees,not zero.what did you end up finding out?
Thanks
Being that this thread is so old you might not hear from the OP. The take away I got from this thread is to ignore the fact that it is currently off, and correctly set everything on the reinstall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks
Don't pay attention to the timing mark on the cover. Remove the cover and go off the timing mark on the crank gear. If the timing belt is off by one tooth, I wouldn't think it would run right. I replaced the timing belt and waterpump on my 99 taco 3.4 a few years back and that's what I did. I know the timing belt on the Camry/Avalon V6 motors have timing marks on the timing belt itself so it was foolproof(replaced a few in my days in the shop). Just line up the marks on the belt with the ones on the cam and crank gears. I can't remember if they have it on the 3.4 though, but I think it does. Also, since you're in there, I would recommend replacing the seals, waterpump, tensioner and pulleys.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts