TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys ever changed the timing belt on your 3.4?
I'm approaching 60k on my truck & if I remember right the timing belt will be due for replacement.
I always prefer to do my own maintance, and the belt seem like it would be pretty straight forward.
I'm interested in some input from my fellow TTORA bros who have changed theirs.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think I did mine around 75,000. A lot of dissassembly but pretty straight forward. Air tools are a must though. Lesson learned. (Thanks again Jay). Also I would suggest a water pump replacement. It will save you from having to go through all that same work again. Check out this write up done on Frankentaco

http://128.83.80.200/taco/timingbelt.html

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
I'm approaching 60k on my truck & if I remember right the timing belt will be due for replacement.
I always prefer to do my own maintance, and the belt seem like it would be pretty straight forward.
I think the maintenance interval is 90k, maybe someone who knows for sure will correct me.

It's a pretty easy job to start with, although there are a couple SSTs that make the job much easier.

http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Wait that sounds right. It was my clutch I had to do at 75,000 sorry. My belt was done later.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
I follow the 90K timing belt change-
Every Toyota timing belt I've seen replaced has still been in great shape at 90K - Toyota changed their timing belt recommendation from 60K to 90K.

It really depends how good you are with a wrench -
My first ever timing belt attempt ever was on a 3.4L.
~lol ...was a about a 6 hr job for a 1st timer.
but the "toughest" part is the removal of the crank pulley bolt-

Tools I used
SST- timing belt tensioner adjuster
Chain pipe wrench (as seen in Frankentacos site) used to hold pulleys
1/2" drive torque wrench to tighten crank bolt to 210 ft*lbs
FIPG/RTV for water pump (now comes with gasket - but I used a little anyway)
Factory service manual

Hints:
clean the mating surfaces of the block & water pump

For removal of the crank pulley bolt there are several methods:
1)breaker bar against frame- use the starter and bump
2)chain wrench to hold crank pulley & breaker bar with cheater pipes on both
3) Impact wrench

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Like Grillmaster said. When I pulled my timing belt it looked to be in great condition. And it was around 90,000.

·
Registered
606 Posts
BLOWNYOTA said:
Is it possible to remove and reinstall the timing belt without the SST for the tensioner? Can I push the tensioner down slowly without the tool?
Compress it in a bench vise and slip a finish nail in the hole. Reinstall the tensioner and pull the nail.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i recently replaced mine. i bought the truck with 315k kms(canadian) and the old belt was really bad..cracked at every notch...i don't know when it was last replaced but if you don't know i would recommend it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You will also need a Torque Wrench that goes to 250lbs and something that holds the crank pulley in place while you torque it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts