TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some searching on replacing a timing belt. I came up with a few questions i couldnt find myself.

-Are there marks already on the left and right cam and also on the crank.(if so how do you line up the marks.) or do you have to mark where the old belt is and then line up the new belt where the old belt used to be?

-Is it worth getting the parts from toyota or just going to the auto parts store? Also, how much did you spend on parts.(water pump, tensioner, timing belt.) I know autozone wanted $215 for the timing belt kit which didnt include the water pump.

Are there any other parts i need to replace other than the water pump, timing belt tensioner, and timingbelt?
I've put new hoses and accessory belts on not too long ago.

Thanks in advance,
Derrick

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I would recommend sticking with genuine Toyota parts for this. The timing belt and water pump are not two components that I would go cheap on. :)
Also, you need to check out our sponsors section. We have some great sponsors that can get you really good deals on the parts you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just called my local dealership and asked them about replacing my belt and they wanted $750 to do it. includeds parts and labor. thats sounds pretty steep to me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Bluepoint SST
Chain wrench (use old belt inside pulley so you don't damage it)
Which I'm sure you already have searched.
I would reccomend yanking the radiator out to get an impact in to break loose the crank bolt. (an extra 5 minutes)

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Just make the SST that Mike uses in that writeup to break the bolt free. You need a way to hold it steady to get it to 217 ftlbs.

Look on http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/ for the Timing belt replacement. Mike misses some steps (such as the marks that need to be lined up in order for the motor to start back up again). Not baggin on hiw writeup, it's great because it isn't too technical, but IMHO, the writeup and the manual together are great resources.

Buy ALL the parts form the dealer. You can get the parts pretty cheap from Toyota Parts Dallas.

Here is what I bought. Remember, you are doing something that requires a lot of removing. Don't skimp, do it once, do it right...

Water Pump
16100-69398-83
Thermostat
90916-03075
3 Ribbed belts (keep the old as spares)
90089-91090-83
90080-91126-83
99364-20870-78
Upper and Lower Rad Hoses (keep old as spares)
16571-62070
16572-07040
Timing Belt (Duh)
13568-69065
Idler pully for timing belt
13503-62040
Tensioner pully for timing belt (Change this, I learned the hard way. After completing the job, 10 miles later it failed...)
13505-62070
Distilled water (can be bought at Safeway)
Antifreeze (I used Prestone, the yellow kind, but Toyota does the same job...)
FIPG for the water pump
00295-00103

Total for items with part numbers: 438.51

Some items you will need:
SST (Make it, quite easy)
Snap-On blue point - Not needed, but much easier than taking off the tensioner
1/2 torque wrench capable of 217ftlbs - HomeDepot Sells a Husky for about 75 bucks
And all your wrenches and sockets...

Note that the price seems high on the parts, but I can GUARENTEE you that the dealer won't even replace all the parts listed above.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Seth_js just had his done at the dealer for $300 - new timing belt and outer belts. He didn't have the pump done though

T-$$ said:
I just called my local dealership and asked them about replacing my belt and they wanted $750 to do it. includeds parts and labor. thats sounds pretty steep to me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
T-$$ said:
Wow sounds steep to me too, is that EVERYTHING? Tensioner, water pump, front seal, hoses, acc. belts?

I get flyers from the dealer with coupons for the the Belt R&R at less than $200. You need to add the extras, Tensioner, Pump, seal, etc, but you know it needs a new belt months before it needs to be done so there is time to look for a deal (Ha Ha a Dealer Deal :rolleyes: ).

I'm happy with my dealer service work. It took 3 dealers to find one that seemed to know Toyota and did'nt keep adding work/cost AFTER they got it in. Plus the work has ALWAYS been 100% correct, I love no bothersum return trips. BTW I use Gabe Toyota in Long Beach, CA

·
Registered
11 Posts
TBob said:
Seth_js just had his done at the dealer for $300 - new timing belt and outer belts. He didn't have the pump done though

ok, i was also talking to the guy about a 90k service and i thought he was giving me 2 different prices but he must have combined them. that makes more sense, i coulnd imnagine that it would take that much labor to justify the cost.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Just make the SST that Mike uses in that writeup to break the bolt free. You need a way to hold it steady to get it to 217 ftlbs.
X2

Here's the one I made

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had my timing belt/water pump replaced on my 03 Taco at 89,000 miles. The timing belt looked brand new still, no signs of wear whatsoever. The waterpump had a small leak. I let the dealer do the job, cost 550. I had em install fresh drive belts also.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Why would you tear that dar down into the motor, and not replace a belt that is supposed to be replaced at 90k miles?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
NorcalPR said:

Look on http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/ for the Timing belt replacement. Mike misses some steps (such as the marks that need to be lined up in order for the motor to start back up again). Not baggin on hiw writeup, it's great because it isn't too technical, but IMHO, the writeup and the manual together are great resources.

Buy ALL the parts form the dealer. You can get the parts pretty cheap from Toyota Parts Dallas.

Here is what I bought. Remember, you are doing something that requires a lot of removing. Don't skimp, do it once, do it right...

Water Pump
16100-69398-83
Thermostat
90916-03075
3 Ribbed belts (keep the old as spares)
90089-91090-83
90080-91126-83
99364-20870-78
Upper and Lower Rad Hoses (keep old as spares)
16571-62070
16572-07040
Timing Belt (Duh)
13568-69065
Idler pully for timing belt
13503-62040
Tensioner pully for timing belt (Change this, I learned the hard way. After completing the job, 10 miles later it failed...)
13505-62070
Distilled water (can be bought at Safeway)
Antifreeze (I used Prestone, the yellow kind, but Toyota does the same job...)
FIPG for the water pump
00295-00103

Total for items with part numbers: 438.51

Some items you will need:
SST (Make it, quite easy)
Snap-On blue point - Not needed, but much easier than taking off the tensioner
1/2 torque wrench capable of 217ftlbs - HomeDepot Sells a Husky for about 75 bucks
And all your wrenches and sockets...

Note that the price seems high on the parts, but I can GUARENTEE you that the dealer won't even replace all the parts listed above.
I recently got my 3 Ribbed Drive Belts from Toyota of Dallas and my numbers match with yours except for 1, I have 90080-91090-83, you show a 91126 instead.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Another option instead of building something to hold the pulley in place is to remove a spark plug and feed some nylon rope into the cylinder. This will keep the motor from turning so that you can remove the pulley. It is kind of a shade tree trick, but it works. Just remember to remove the rope.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am getting ready to do this work as well and I read on another post here that if you wedge a breaker bar against the frame with the socket on the bolt and "bump" the motor with the starter, you can loosen it.

Was that post a dream....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts