TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It timing belt changing time. Saw on the old forum a post regarding a tool to spread / compress an idler spring to that some parts did not have to be removed. What was it and where do I get one?
Also is there a good site / threard on the EZ how to's for doing the timing belt on a 3.4?
Lastly, any reccomenations on parts. can either use OEM Toyota belt, idlers & water pump, but saw that Gates / Car Quest sells a timing kit that includes the belts & idlers too.
BC

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Blue Coyote said:
It timing belt changing time. Saw on the old forum a post regarding a tool to spread / compress an idler spring to that some parts did not have to be removed. What was it and where do I get one?
Also is there a good site / threard on the EZ how to's for doing the timing belt on a 3.4?
Lastly, any reccomenations on parts. can either use OEM Toyota belt, idlers & water pump, but saw that Gates / Car Quest sells a timing kit that includes the belts & idlers too.
BC
I have some info here:

http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm

For OEM parts, get ahold of Chris and Barbara King. They will hook you up bigtime! http://www.trdparts4u.com/

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So does anyone have a writeup for replacing the timing belt without his nifty little tools? Or does hanes or chiltons do a good enough job of explaining it. Sounds like a PITA job, is it just worth it to have the stealership do it or should I start looking for someone to fab me up some tools :welder:

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
The instructions are the same between with the tool and without the tool except that you can't compress the pulley on the truck. You have to pull off the AC compressor and then pull out the tensioner. Put the tensioner on a press and compress it, then insert the pin. Re-install the tensioner, better hope the pin doesn't come out. Put the belt on and align all of the marks. Happy times you're done. Pull the pin and re-install the AC compressor.

FWIW the AC compressor is a royal PITA to get off, especially on darn IFS rigs with no space to work with.

GL. I recommend finding/stealing/buying that SST. It can be had from snap-on for, I think, $70 (Total rip-off)

·
Don't get Wenzeled
1,410 Posts
BigBadBob0 said:
The instructions are the same between with the tool and without the tool except that you can't compress the pulley on the truck. You have to pull off the AC compressor and then pull out the tensioner. Put the tensioner on a press and compress it, then insert the pin. Re-install the tensioner, better hope the pin doesn't come out. Put the belt on and align all of the marks. Happy times you're done. Pull the pin and re-install the AC compressor.

FWIW the AC compressor is a royal PITA to get off, especially on darn IFS rigs with no space to work with.

GL. I recommend finding/stealing/buying that SST. It can be had from snap-on for, I think, $70 (Total rip-off)
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=15204&PartNo=YA9730&group_id=1552&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all
$44
still a rip :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts