TTORA Forum banner

Timing belt tools & parts

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  96tacolx 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 ·
yes it is a PITA, yes you need a tool that will spread the pulleys in order for you to save yourself hours of labor. it will still be difficult, but if you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to handle it no problem. Unless of course these answers don't answer your quetion, in which case I issue a full retraction.

Boheefus

#6 ·
Any body in the Houston area done it? Own the special tools? Interested in selling the tools?

I figure I can do it with the the Pulley SST and something to hold the crank pulley while I hang 235ft/lbs. on the pulley bolt.

I may be willing to buy the tools if I can get enough people wanting them that I could sell them and share the expense.

Shipping should be cheap enough I guess you don't have to be in Texas.

Thanks

#7 ·
ByrdDog20 said:
Any body in the Houston area done it? Own the special tools? Interested in selling the tools?
Check - I have the tensioner tool, as well as the FSM
Murderman has fabbed up his own SST for the Crank pulley

I am only at 63K - So I will wait for 90K to do the works
As far as Houston goes-
Mike Burse Did his (T-Belt, water pump, belts etc.....)
Don has done his stuff
Carlos will be doing his stuff soon , as well as Tom- since they have recently past the 90K mark -

I should have part numbers & prices for all of the parts involved

-Phong

#8 ·
ByrdDog20 said:

I figure I can do it with the the Pulley SST and something to hold the crank pulley while I hang 235ft/lbs. on the pulley bolt.

I may be willing to buy the tools if I can get enough people wanting them that I could sell them and share the expense.

Shipping should be cheap enough I guess you don't have to be in Texas.

Thanks
You are fortunate to have an experienced group down there. Believe me, the SST is worth it vs. wrestling the AC off. As far as the crank pulley, a breaker bar wedged in and a quick bump of the starter will break it loose.

Email Barb at info@trdparts4u.com & she'll get your parts pronto. FWIW, recently more water pumps have been coming with a gasket, but I haven't seen one seat right yet, so my advice is throw it out & stick with the factory FIPG (it is worth it's weight in gold!). Last thing you want is to get it all together & see a leak develop... that really sucks. Good Luck!

#10 ·
#12 ·
grillmasterp said:
Check - I have the tensioner tool, as well as the FSM
Murderman has fabbed up his own SST for the Crank pulley

I am only at 63K - So I will wait for 90K to do the works
As far as Houston goes-
Mike Burse Did his (T-Belt, water pump, belts etc.....)
Don has done his stuff
Carlos will be doing his stuff soon , as well as Tom- since they have recently past the 90K mark -

I should have part numbers & prices for all of the parts involved

-Phong
i need to as well.. we should have a WAT and see if we can get 3 trucks knocked out at once

#14 ·
Alright, started working on it way late last night, so we only got everything stripped off minus the crankshaft bolt. We tried everything to get that damn thing off. Took the little inspection plate off the front of the tranny to try and stop the teeth from moving there, couldnt really get a good spot in there and that ended up not working. So I tried making one of those little puller holding tools, but all I had around was some 1.5" x 1/8" flat stock and no drill press, which took forever and I ended up bending the chit out of that. So we attached a BF pipe wrench to the pully and still couldnt get it. Only thing I can think of is to get an impact wrench and try that, but I'm not sure thats such a good idea. Any ideas?

#15 ·
Just read chris' post about using the starter and a breaker bar, is that alright for the engine, cause that sounds like a better idea than pulling the radiator to try and stick an impact in there.

#16 ·
AggieTaco said:
Just read chris' post about using the starter and a breaker bar, is that alright for the engine, cause that sounds like a better idea than pulling the radiator to try and stick an impact in there.
Will not hurt the engine but make sure that breaker bar is in a place that wont move. Just barely bumping the engine with the starter and something is coming loose(preferably the bolt) Just keep your hands out of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.