TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and read that Toyota says replace t-belt at 90k and water pump as preventive maintenance. some report no issues at replacement others say belt was extremely worn, water pump leaking, etc. my question is, how many more miles can you run over 90k safely without this maintenance?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
I searched and read that Toyota says replace t-belt at 90k and water pump as preventive maintenance. some report no issues at replacement others say belt was extremely worn, water pump leaking, etc. my question is, how many more miles can you run over 90k safely without this maintenance?
If your water pump is already leaking...

Do the timing belt at the same time. You need to pull most of the crap away in order to replace the water pump....might as well go the extra 10% and replace the timing belt at the same time.

I replaced mine at about 75k, and it looked golden. Doesn't mean it could have lasted another 75k though.

Spend the extra $$$ in parts and time, while your already in there, do it right.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Angry Andy said:
If your water pump is already leaking...

Do the timing belt at the same time. You need to pull most of the crap away in order to replace the water pump....might as well go the extra 10% and replace the timing belt at the same time.

I replaced mine at about 75k, and it looked golden. Doesn't mean it could have lasted another 75k though.

Spend the extra $$$ in parts and time, while your already in there, do it right.
thanks for the reply, i wasn't as clear as i think i should be in my post, a few details to explain things. im in college now and nowhere up here to turn wrenches, i work weekends, so im mainly asking can i make it until this summer when i will be home where some tools are and can do it on the weekend, i currently have 100k on the truck.
thanks

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Doesn't really mean shit because every one is going to be a little different but when my 3.0 went (head gasket) on my runner it had 240k on original timing belt and it was damn near in ribbons.

I say fuckit- wait till you can do it and get it done. Previous thread in tech? I think was saying that these are "non-interference" engines, whatever the fuck that means, and that if the timing belt did actually go to shit it wouldn't fuck up everything else; as opposed I guess to an interference engine where it would?
Screw paying $1000 to get a tune up you could do yourself for less than half that.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
thanks for the reply, i wasn't as clear as i think i should be in my post, a few details to explain things. im college no where up here to turn wrenches, i work weekends, so im mainly asking can i make it until this summer when i will be home where some tools are and can do it on the weekend, i currently have 100k on the truck.
thanks
RENEGADE76254 said:
my question is, how many more miles can you run over 90k safely without this maintenance?
Obviously there is no definite mileage, and every engine is different, so it's really a matter of if you replace it before or after it causes a problem.

Could last another 90K miles, or just another 90. Scheduled maintenance is a recommendation, not gospel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if a belt breaks on an interference motor, the valves will be stuck open and "interfere" with the travel of the pistons so they will hit each other and cause breakage. non interference, the lowest point the valves reach does not coincide with top dead center of the piston so there will not be internal mass carnage. hope that helps someone out

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
My truck has 173k and to the best of my knowledge the belt has never been changed (bought the truck at 72k)........I am not saying it is a good idea to do this.............but I would go out on a limb and say yours will be fine for awhile............I have never seen one pulled at 90 k that actually looked bad :2cents:

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Like posted before, all depends. My old truck's water pump looked fine at 90k, when I did my bro's friend's truck at 100k, the water pump looked pretty bad.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
...And my pump started leaking at 65k...just to say that it can go either way. (I don't recall the codition of the belt at that time, I just changed it as a matter of course.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts