TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 tacoma sx 3.4l v6. i have 147,000 miles on my truck and it runs stronger than ever. I think that they recommend changing the timing belt at 75,000 miles or so but I never had mine done cuz the toyo dealer near my house are a bunch of scheisters. They milk you for every penny they can. Anyways, are there warning signs that your belt is going bad or does it just break and jack up your engine? I hate to fork out 1400 bucks if i don't have to especially to this toyo dealer. I'm sure this has been covered many times on this forum but I'm tired and too lazy to look tonight. Thanks for the input in advance.

·
Registered
854 Posts
At 147k, I'd have it replaced so you don't run into any problems. Taking a proactive approach to this could save you time and money. Even if it runs fine now, the belts on the 3.4L V6's are wear items and should be replaced every 75-100k.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
96tacomasx said:
I have a 96 tacoma sx 3.4l v6. i have 147,000 miles on my truck and it runs stronger than ever. I think that they recommend changing the timing belt at 75,000 miles or so but I never had mine done cuz the toyo dealer near my house are a bunch of scheisters. They milk you for every penny they can. Anyways, are there warning signs that your belt is going bad or does it just break and jack up your engine? I hate to fork out 1400 bucks if i don't have to especially to this toyo dealer. I'm sure this has been covered many times on this forum but I'm tired and too lazy to look tonight. Thanks for the input in advance.
You're overdue for a timing belt and other stuff.

No, it won't jack up your engine if it breaks.

You can even do it yourself in an afternoon with the right tools.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself, I have a receipt from one done last year by the previous owner. He paid just under $600 for the belt, water pump tensioner anitifreeze and LABOR. I can't see it costing much more, I think the books only give 4 hours in labor. My brother and I can do them in around 2 working together and we pull the radiators and flush the cooling system.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Damn! $1400? They really ARE shiesters! The other thing to look for is an aftermarket shop that specializes in japanese vehicles. They really don't warn you they are going to break and you're really pushing your luck running it that long on the original belt. It won't bend the valves or anything like that unless you're running really high RPM's whe it breaks. It'll just leave you walking. (I personally HATE walking down the side of the road. That's WHY I drive a Toyota.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts