TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do a timing belt on my 3.4 tacoma. I'm going to be using a gates kit which includes an idler pulley and a tensioner. has any one done this using this kit ? Also what size is the puller bolt holes for the front crank pulley and what size socket do you use to remove the front pulley bolt?

thanx, Ron

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm getting ready to do a timing belt on my 3.4 tacoma. I'm going to be using a gates kit which includes an idler pulley and a tensioner. has any one done this using this kit ? Also what size is the puller bolt holes for the front crank pulley and what size socket do you use to remove the front pulley bolt?

thanx, Ron
Not familiar with the gates kit. Have you picked up a new water pump, thermostat, belts, cam seals, and FIPG?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't plan on replacing the water pump or the thermostat at this time as this is still under warranty and with the extended life coolant these water pumps last a very long time and I have seen many many new thermostats malfunction, the one I have is working fine. I understand the concept of "while its apart" but I don't just change parts, I really believe these belts will last a lot longer than 90,000 miles, but to satisfy the warranty agreement I will change it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I really don't plan on replacing the water pump or the thermostat at this time as this is still under warranty and with the extended life coolant these water pumps last a very long time and I have seen many many new thermostats malfunction, the one I have is working fine. I understand the concept of "while its apart" but I don't just change parts, I really believe these belts will last a lot longer than 90,000 miles, but to satisfy the warranty agreement I will change it.
The waterpumps are notorious for leaking regardless of fluid. My 03' 4Runner and my 99' Tacoma had coolant goop dried up all around the water pump housing. It's your truck but I think it's silly not to replace it when you're in there. Good luck with the install, it's not that bad. Just read everything you can and have a plan.

Later,

JK

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

thanx, Ron
I wouldn't use anything but Toyota OEM parts on something as important as your timing belt. Also, I don't know how many miles are on your rig but if you are replacing the timing belt, there's probably enough miles that you might want to consider replacing the water pump and T-stat also. The Crank bolt was 19MM and you will also want to replace the idler AND tensioner pullys. Mine were both making noise and looked like crap at 95K miles. My water pump was also leaking, with no indication of such until I tore the front of the engine apart, glad I had the parts on hand! I got EVERYTHING I need from Shannon at www.ToyotaOffroadParts.com for about 440.00 shipped. Thats the timing belt, water pump, T-stat, Antifreeze, upper and lower Radiator hoses, all new fan belts, PCV valve, and new tensioner for the T-belt. Not bad for a little Toyota piece of mind.

Just my :2cents:
Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just did mine yesterday... no sign of water pump leaking but after I tore it apart there was junk all up in there. The water pump was leaking. Sounds like thats a pretty common thing around. I'd just do it. I would hate to have to tear that apart again before I had to.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just did mine yesterday... no sign of water pump leaking but after I tore it apart there was junk all up in there. The water pump was leaking. Sounds like thats a pretty common thing around. I'd just do it. I would hate to have to tear that apart again before I had to.

Thats the same way mine was. I think the only reason it wasn't leaking was because the gunked on coolant residue dried out and formed a gasket. Either way it wasn't operating efficiently and needed to be replaced. My truck runs a tad cooler since change it out along with the t-stat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'll be doing this soon. still doing more research till then. anyone know a good website to get the water pump and belt for a decent price??

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
i'll be doing this soon. still doing more research till then. anyone know a good website to get the water pump and belt for a decent price??
Reread post #6.

Change the water pump. If it fails (which it will later on) you will have to remove the timing belt and replace it with a new one.

Two words: Preventive maintence

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've used both of these sites, great service and prices.
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214074

Here's a good write-up on changing it, except go with the 217 ft-lb (new spec) for the crank bolt not the 184 ft-lb (old spec).
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

There's also this write-up in the Tech section:
http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts