TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4cyl/2.7L 1999 Toyota Tacoma w/a little over 82K miles on it. I believe I have a timing chain, not timing belt on it? And was wondering, if it is a timing chain, whether or not I need to replace it and when (ie: mileage)?

·
20,355 Posts
What ^^^^ He said. I have never seen an actual chain go. It is always the guides which i believe they improved for the 2.7 from the 22r

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I kinda disagree. Chains get streched out over time and need to be replaced. I had to replace one on my old 22RE. It got to the point where the chain had worn into the side and was mixing anti-freeze w/ the engine oil and vice versa. This was around 170k miles though.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
It got to the point where the chain had worn into the side and was mixing anti-freeze w/ the engine oil and vice versa. This was around 170k miles though.
That's the guide problem Ike talks about:

It is always the guides which i believe they improved for the 2.7 from the 22r

·
Registered
494 Posts
if you do chanis in a 22r replace with a dual row chain and steel guides.......will never have a problem again.........never saw a 20r have the chain problem, they came with dual row and steel guides..................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts