TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That is incredibly clean looking, nice man. It'll be too bad when they get scratched up on the trails :xdevil:

·
Registered
226 Posts
hmmmm, i guess this wouldnt look as good on a '99 would it. (or if it would work at all)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did you paint the insides or the outsides of the lenses? I've seen some write-ups on using spray on window tint on the insides of the lenses to avoid scratching later on.

How well do the brakes shine through? How about the parking lights?

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,528 Posts
Darrcoma said:
Drop black auto paint 8 teaspoons per one pint of clear.
Nice job. Personally I don't like tinted brake light lenses. Makes it very hard to see on a sunny day. I hope nobody rear ends your truck because of it.
I'm not sure where you are located, but those taillights would be illegal in California:

24600. During darkness every motor vehicle which is not in combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with lighted taillamps mounted on the rear as follows:

(e) Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Jamier2 said:
Did you paint the insides or the outsides of the lenses? I've seen some write-ups on using spray on window tint on the insides of the lenses to avoid scratching later on.

How well do the brakes shine through? How about the parking lights?

Thanks,
Jamie
I paint the outside...there is an automotive clear coat on. So far i have had them on my truck for about 15 months now. No fading, scratches or chips have occured. Here is a pic of the breaklights applied. click me

The pic shown above in my first post is the lights on with no break applied, about 25 ft back.

Here is my first set (medium tint)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Federal DOT requirements state that taillights must reflect red when light is shown on them. Notice the pics above are in shadow. If you follow Darrcoma's link to his Webshots page (and back up to his taillights gallery) you'll see a shot illustrating how these tinted ones do reflect as 'red' under light...

·
Registered
74 Posts
EnolaGaia said:
Federal DOT requirements state that taillights must reflect red when light is shown on them. Notice the pics above are in shadow. If you follow Darrcoma's link to his Webshots page (and back up to his taillights gallery) you'll see a shot illustrating how these tinted ones do reflect as 'red' under light...
Nice mod Darcoma.
As far as the legalities go I think it could get you pulled over in you meet the cop that wants to do just that.
EnolaGaia is not technically correct in his post above. Your tail lights do not reflect red but emit red when lit up. Possibly a parking on the street issue.
I am seriously thinking of doing this mod. My concern is that wheelin and beer go good together and there is a road between the trails and the driveway.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Darrcoma said:
iv'e tried that stuff, IMO its junk compared to my method.
Yours is prolly better, but the Nite Shades works pretty well, IMO. And you need to powder coat your wheels black (or get some black wheels), and ditch those chrome tube steps. That would looke sharp. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I tinted my tail lights with some spray on tint (not Nite Shades) and clear coat and it wore off within a year. I got pulled over three times for them- I carried around a list of the lighting laws in TX, which state pretty much the same as the CA one does; technically they are legal so long as they reflect red and shine red when braking- it is at the officers discretion to give a ticket or not (or to get pissed they were wrong about the laws and fuck with you for something else...). There are some cars that come from the factory with "dark" tail lights, those are DOT approved.
If i were to do it again, I would use Nite Shades and a better clear, and get some 50watt 1157 brake lights. Make 'em really shine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts