TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need to replace my aging Isuzu pickup & I'm looking at Tacomas. It needs to be 4wd. I've never own a Toyota before, so any information you can give me woold be greatly appreciated (like models, years, or options to avoid). Reliability is paramount. Thanks in advance.
BTW, my budget is around $7k.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Zimmo said:
Hello, I need to replace my aging Isuzu pickup & I'm looking at Tacomas. It needs to be 4wd. I've never own a Toyota before, so any information you can give me woold be greatly appreciated (like models, years, or options to avoid). Reliability is paramount. Thanks in advance.
BTW, my budget is around $7k.
1997 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Xtra Cab

I checked kelly bluebook for a Tacoma in that price range,and here is about what you can expect for a $7k budget. I tried it on a 1997 exstended cab toyota tacoma 4x4 with the SR5 package and 100K miles and the private party value was $7,480.

Engine: V6 3.4 Liter
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: 4 Wheel Drive
Mileage: 100,000

Equipment
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Single Compact Disc
Sliding Rear Window
Alloy Wheels

Private Party Value Search Local Listings for This Car $7,480

If you do not need an Extra cab,you might can find a newer Single cab for around the same price.
Hope this helped a little,and good luck with your purchace.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you can do with a 4 cylinder, that would likely bring the price down as well.

If reliability is your main concern, you can't go wrong with Toyota. They do hold their value very well, so you may have to search hard for what you want in your price range. I bought my '96 xcab 3.4L 4x4 with 105k for $11k, about 2.5 years ago.

One thing to note about the early Tacomas (95.5 and 96) is that the rear leaf springs tended to break. However, I would think that if you're looking at one of those model years, the springs have already been replaced by now (as was the case with mine.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Zimmo... where are you located?

I am in the process of looking at Tacoma's but probably not till Summer time...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
mycirus said:
I like the headlights on the 95/96's better than the big flat ones on the 97's (I think) and 98 - 00's
Fatty flatty's kick ass!!! All the runners have em, well a lot of them... But 95-97s have the inset headlights, 98-00 have the fatty's.

About 1 year and a half ago my brother got a 95 V6 ext 70,000 mile very good shape taco for 6800. Mad good deal. Still dont find them for that little. Got my 99 prerunner V6 TRD for 10000.

Just look for a while, you'll get the feel. All I have to say is if you get a single then a 4cyl will be fine; get a ext cab with a V6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to look at some pics of the headlights and see what looks better. I didn't notice a difference when I was looking on ebay. What the story on the V-6 models? A guy at work had a '95 with a 6 that blew up (Coolant leak or something). Anyway, I know the 4 cyls don't have the power of the V'6's, but they seem pretty bulletproof.

BTW - I live in CT. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks to California and I may look for a truck there and drive it out to Connecticut. On the 4wd models, were manual locking hubs avalible on '94-'97 models?

·
Registered
54 Posts
you can find a good truck in that price range, i hardly even looked and got my '98 taco 4x4 standard cab automatic for $5,800 they wanted 7,100 for it but i talked them down to 58, just find one you want and go talk to them about it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts