TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after buying my Tacoma and getting on this board, I have learned that I didn't do it the right way. I should have bought a stocker and built her up how I wanted. Instead I went the easier way and bought a truck that I believe was built pretty well, but now I am thinking about making my first modifications to it. I don't have much mechanical experience at all but we all start sometime, right?

What I know (or think I know): My truck has 6 inches of lift. 3 inches from my RaceRunner (SwayAway) COs and leafs, and 3 inches of body lift. She currently sits on 35" Goodyear MTRs. I sure some of you know that these setups dont get the worlds greatest mileage. Its not the worst either but still.

I am pretty darn near to new tire time so this is why I am posting and contemplating. Before I throw down the dollas for some new 35s, I wanted to know if I would be able to run a 33" MTR or similar tire if I removed the body lift and stayed with just my COs and leafs lifting it the 3inches.

The work of removal would not be done until summer I dont think, but I will most likely buy new tires before I drive back down to Colorado. In this case, if I was told they would run with the 3 inch lift, I would probably get 33s instead of 35s. If I went this way would 33s make the ride funky compared to my 35s under my current setup? OR is there anyone in Bozeman who has the knowledge, skill, and willingness to help me remove the BL before I leave around May 10th?

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
You would have to do some banging and cutting to fit 33's...

32's would fit if you only cut the pinch weld plastic, and bang the pinch weld over.

What you could do is adjust the SAW's lower, and keep the BL on. This would give you a better ride and much better flex offroad.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont know if you can run 33's without a body lift and and Co at 3" it is beyond me but as for will 33's look bad with that amount of lift is opinion.

I have a little over 2" lift front and back running the 31x10.5's and I hate the look (and Im changing it) ,but many others seem to like that look. I would go look at pics guys have posted and look for close to same setup with 33's and see if you can live with it. If you have to keep a Body lift with 33's go to a smaller one. hope this helps a little

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Before I throw down the dollas for some new 35s, I wanted to know if I would be able to run a 33" MTR or similar tire if I removed the body lift and stayed with just my COs and leafs lifting it the 3inches.
Yes.

If I went this way would 33s make the ride funky compared to my 35s under my current setup?
No.

People who say 33s don't fit with 3" of lift either haven't run the setup or are afraid of trimming.

My rig is sitting at 2" of lift (coilovers) with 33s on 10" wide wheels. Pounded the pinch-weld flat and removed some of the plastic liner. Very stable and composed ride, which likely isn't the case for a truck lifted 4" or more running the same tires.

·
Registered
243 Posts
33x10.5 tires will fit easily with just the CO lift. 33x12.5 will fit with trimming, and banging as stated above. A popular recipe to fit 33.12.5 tires is a 1" BL plus CO lift, and pound the pinch weld.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.

No.

People who say 33s don't fit with 3" of lift either haven't run the setup or are afraid of trimming.

My rig is sitting at 2" of lift (coilovers) with 33s on 10" wide wheels. Pounded the pinch-weld flat and removed some of the plastic liner. Very stable and composed ride, which likely isn't the case for a truck lifted 4" or more running the same tires.
Yeah, I was actually thinking specifically the look of your truck. I was gonna PM you at some point but you responded instead.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
33x10.5 tires will fit easily with just the CO lift. 33x12.5 will fit with trimming, and banging as stated above. A popular recipe to fit 33.12.5 tires is a 1" BL plus CO lift, and pound the pinch weld.
Is the 33x10.5 still a capable off roading tire? Would a narrow tire not be as good in mud? I definitely want to get into wheelin much more over the summer, I just dont necessarily want as big of a truck anymore because I have realized that its not needed to do some good stuff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would the 33x12.50 just rub a bit when fully turned if I didn't do trimming? Just wondering cuz my 35s do rub when I crank em, but its easy to get used to and know how far to turn it.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Is the 33x10.5 still a capable off roading tire? Would a narrow tire not be as good in mud?
Definitely still a good tire, and a narrow tire is likely going to be better in mud.

I just dont necessarily want as big of a truck anymore because I have realized that its not needed to do some good stuff.
That's a very good realization and very true!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone have pics of a newer taco ('01-'04) with a 3 inch lift and 33x10.5s? I just wanna see what it looks like.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely still a good tire, and a narrow tire is likely going to be better in mud.
If a narrow tire is better in the mud then why would one (such as yourself) put the 33x12.50 on instead of the 33x10.5? Doesnt the wider tire also hit the mileage compared to the narrow?

·
Banned
262 Posts
Yes.

No.

I hear you.

I wish the assholes who have no experience would just shut their big stupid mouths. Internet "experts" should chug Drano. :rolleyes:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
If a narrow tire is better in the mud then why would one (such as yourself) put the 33x12.50 on instead of the 33x10.5? Doesnt the wider tire also hit the mileage compared to the narrow?
I bought my wheels (which are 15x10s) before I bought tires, and with a 10" wheel a 10.5" wide tire wasn't an option. I prefer the look of the wider tires and the increase in track width has really helped the stability.

Mileage wise, the wider tire is heavier and offers more rolling resistance so yes, the mileage is worse.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd say a 33 will fit fine. I had 32's on a '98 TRD and they only rubbed the frame rail at full lock. Granted mine were BFG A/T's but with a 3 in. lift They should fit no problem, Possibly with a little pinch weld banging, but they should definately fit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mileage wise, the wider tire is heavier and offers more rolling resistance so yes, the mileage is worse.
Ok so would the 33x12.50 get that much better mileage than my 35x12.50s? I think I've seen now a 3 inch lift with the 33x10.5s and that is just goofy looking in my opinion. Also, would the 33x12.50 set be a couple hundred less than a new set of 35s, or what would the price difference most likely be?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will the 33x11.50 run without problems then? Thats the 285/75/16 right? I figure that shouldnt need the hammering that the 12.50 will need and that it will be more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes than the goofy lookin 10.50.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts