TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Akay, so a spare takes up WAY too much bed space and I don't have time to make a swing out before SETO (are we there yet???!!!). I'd played around with a vertical bar that tied into another flat bar on the bed that went under the tire. Wasn't satisfied with that... so this is what I did hence the v1.0...

16ga 1" square tube from HD

Fits "almost" perfect in the top bed rail lip.

Clamped in place. Ended up shortening it a bit...

Weldered some 1/2-13 nuts on it.

Fastened in place with self tapping screws through holes that were already in the bed lip. There are small factory gussets and stiffeners inside the lip so the tube wont sit flat against the top inside.. which was kinda a bummer

Spare installed. Very secure too. I didn't expect it to be as solid as it is.

Used those long all-thread nuts and some jamb nuts to keep the all-thread in place.

Since cutting the sheet metal off the bottom for the high clearance bumper the bed sides and tailgate have been a bit floppy. Adding the spare didn't help. Support will need to be added like the tube shown below. Will prolly tie into the bumper underneath if I keep this type carrier.

It is not a hindrance from the drivers seat either and one reason I put it on this side and not the other. We'll see how it does at SETO. Will probably lay it down after we unload all our junk at camp.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
nice, i would put mine there as well but my co2 tank mount is there and i have the hilift on the other side....oh well i will continue to rachet strap;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Clean and functional

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
looks really good ted!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Leave it alone. this is going in the auction.

Ya give am a $1.50 and Ill see about gettin ya named pulled out of the Raffle. That way no one can say ya cheated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Spare Tire Mount

Ted - I like the reinforcement.I was at one point working on something similar to what you have going for my Tacoma - but picture the "sump" that was in some Early chevy cars that stored the spare in the trunk standing up. Was thinking of something similar, countersunk in the bed with the spare sitting in it. Figured I could get about 8" drop. Would increase visibility over the tire, add stability, and just be different. Hell, a trailer fender from Northern Tool turned upside down would work - WITH the mount you just made. Just food for thought..

As for the swingout above, It's well on its way to being on the back of the 40. :saw: :welder:

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Ted's design is pretty stable! I was helping him and chatting Sunday night with this and once it's mounted it just shakes the truck at the springs. The bed doesn't move 1 bit!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ted - I like the reinforcement.I was at one point working on something similar to what you have going for my Tacoma - but picture the "sump" that was in some Early chevy cars that stored the spare in the trunk standing up. Was thinking of something similar, countersunk in the bed with the spare sitting in it. Figured I could get about 8" drop. Would increase visibility over the tire, add stability, and just be different. Hell, a trailer fender from Northern Tool turned upside down would work - WITH the mount you just made. Just food for thought..

As for the swingout above, It's well on its way to being on the back of the 40. :saw: :welder:
Little Man right?? I like that idea. I know exactly what your talking about and yes there is room below to add such a "well" for it. Right now I've GOT to focus some time to the front axle/suspension/steering.

And hey, great meeting you at SETO! How'd you like those new seat belts/harnesses??

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Little Man right?? I like that idea. I know exactly what your talking about and yes there is room below to add such a "well" for it. Right now I've GOT to focus some time to the front axle/suspension/steering.

And hey, great meeting you at SETO! How'd you like those new seat belts/harnesses??
I hear ya - your design doesnt Need improvement, I was just helping you to add to your to-do list. hehehe..

I love 'em - need to move the lap belt mounting points to a little lower spot, as the retractor was helping the lap belt to "ride up" a little. But overall i'm very happy with them.

Enjoyed meeting you guys too. Lookin forward to the next ride.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hope ya like it. :welder:
I'm diggin it. Got it mocked up today with a Jerry can & holder & a big'ol cardboard tire - it's alot easier to move around for mock up. :p May even be able to squeeze a hi-lift mount in there somewhere. Nicely built - I believe it's gonna serve me well.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
v1.1

Akay so the spare v1.0 does great when the bed is needed for hauling other stuff, gets the tire outta the way but didn't like it on the trail... soooo, v1.1

Things I wanted
1. Use v1.0 hardware with either config
2. Larger tire in the future (up to a 40" tire could be mounted) but that'll never happen (if I don't bob the bed)
3. Everything can be installed/removed from the bed, no crawling underneath
4. Keep the bed useful.

Clearance hole Clarence. Threaded rod can easily be removed

The idea is to use the old spare tire cross member for support.

Weldered a long 1/2"-13 nut to a 1/8" plate that I had and screwed it to the cross member.

Tacked a thick washer to my lug tee cause it's always in the way...

So originally I was going to add a plate across the wheel that had a hole in the center for the threaded rod to go thru but I was able to use one of the lug holes instead and get the tire further back almost touching the tailgate.

It pulls down really tight, we'll see how it does with vibs and wheeling and such but I think it'll hold just fine. So KISS and CHEAP!!! Oh, I cut a short piece of threaded rod and jamb nut'd the tee handle to the tire ... but if your Greg you could conceivably stack several spare tires together with more threaded rod. lol!! :rofl:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had a version of this using a single 3/8 looong bolt threaded to a nut/flat bar under the bed. It won't budge

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I really like that crossbar hold down:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts