TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually swap tires right off the lot as stock tires suck, especially the BFG Rugged Trails. Had them on 3 vehicles, sucked in the snow.

So, I'm looking at some new tires.

I've always ran Big O XT's with good results, however, I went to a LT265/75 on an 03 DBL CAB and it killed the power. Size and the extra weight(@20lbs each) from P to LT.

I want to make sure that won't happen again if I go with that size.

However, I'm open to options and would like comments on a few tires. This will be a big help as I'm soon to have two vehicles with this size tire P265/70R16, and would prefer the LT size.

Both vehicles, an 05 Xterra and soon to be an 06/07 Tacoma have about 265hp and 6 speed manuals. 4x4, so I don't think they'll be affected as bad as my 03 3.4 with 4sp auto.

I'm looking at the
Toyo Open Country A/T
BFG All Terrain
BIG O XT (what I've usually ran)
Cooper STT

Mainly the X will be on the road, with a little dirt and mud, with packed snow and ice in the winter. The Toy will be on the road and used to haul my ATV's and such so it'll see a little more, but not enough to really warrent the Cooper STT's that I like, at the cost of packed snow road performance. I found the BIG O XT's to be far and above the Rugged Trails in every way, even on packed snow so I'm not adverse to the more aggresive treads, at least on the truck.

Are the STT's lousy in mud?
Should I be concered with the size/weight increase going from P to LT?
Is there a big difference in noise and dry handling with the above?

Thanks! I'd hate to spend $700+ again and be dissapointed with the tires.

·
Registered
204 Posts
t. riley
go over to the colorado forum and contact DriftinCO i think he has ran the stt for a while now. you also might be able to find him here also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
there's a thread about 50 pages in length discussing the stt. i don't think you need to start another discussion on them. bfg at's are hard to beat though, most everyone loves them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read that whole thread, but not much was mentioned about packed snow on pavement.

I've heard a lot of M/T tires suck in that situation, so I wanted to make sure.

Also, looking for comparisons or exp with the others mentioned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
ALL mud tires suck on the road in the snow when compared to a good all-terrain........the tread voids are simply too large.

I run bfg at's and they work awsome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts